POI of two different loads

Bishop

Shooting out of my Savage M10 Predator 243 I ended up with a load of 39g of varget with 80g Ballistic tips.

Worked up a load for the 95g partitions using 43.9g of H4831sc

Same brass, primer,trim length etc for both loads.

When I zero at 100 yards for the 95g Npt, the 80g Nbt load is exactly 2in high. Straight vertical.

Does this tell me anything useful about my rifle? Is stuff like this just pure dumb luck or normal for handloaded ammo?

I know when i shot factory ammo that if i switched bullet weighs or brands that the POI would shift sometimes kinda dramatically.

Just wondering if this means I found a good velocity range or something or is it just a "great all i have to do for my varmint load to be zeroed is reduce my elevation 8 clicks" kinda thing?

POI shifting up exactly vertical is obviously a good thing. Sometimes my POI will shift left or right as well as vertical.

If they both shoot good groups then keep em, the rest is a mental exercise. That is something I enjoy.

Velocity explains some of it, barrel whip/vibration/harmonics the other part. Look up Optimal Barrel Timing, get your QuickLoad data and see if they are both on an OBT node.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.