Poi moved during shooting.

Im betting scope/mount issue or the barrel didn't get torqued on? No barrel shoots like that and shifts 7" as it breaks in You can load 2 different loads, one at the very bottom end and one at absolute max and they aren't going to be 7" apart even if there is 400 FPS in velocity difference. Also never seen a barrel shift 7" squeaky clean to filthy dirty. This is assuming the 7" shift is at 100 yards? Did it happen all at once or walk up the target in a few shots?

Im betting scope/mount issue or the barrel didn't get torqued on? No barrel shoots like that and shifts 7" as it breaks in You can load 2 different loads, one at the very bottom end and one at absolute max and they aren't going to be 7" apart even if there is 400 FPS in velocity difference. Also never seen a barrel shift 7" squeaky clean to filthy dirty. This is assuming the 7" shift is at 100 yards? Did it happen all at once or walk up the target in a few shots?
Walked up the target a few shots

Couple things I would check, make sure your rings aren't real close to the turrets/parallax knob or over tightened. Never seen problems with a NF NXS from this but I suppose it could happen. Set the rifle in a vise where you can look thru the scope and run the turrets up and down a few times just to make sure nothing funny is going on. Nothing scientific about it just a quick look at the reticle moving.

Action screws just to rule them out but I would think they would be fine the way it's grouping.

Check that the barrel is tight, it's been known to happen where a gun makes it out of the factory or the gunsmith without getting torqued.

Pull the barreled action and check the barrel channel for something getting in there in acting as a shim. Strange to happen at the range, but seen some stuff get stuck in channels after a hunting trip and cause problems.

Couple things I would check, make sure your rings aren't real close to the turrets/parallax knob or over tightened. Never seen problems with a NF NXS from this but I suppose it could happen. Set the rifle in a vise where you can look thru the scope and run the turrets up and down a few times just to make sure nothing funny is going on. Nothing scientific about it just a quick look at the reticle moving.

Action screws just to rule them out but I would think they would be fine the way it's grouping.

Check that the barrel is tight, it's been known to happen where a gun makes it out of the factory or the gunsmith without getting torqued.

Pull the barreled action and check the barrel channel for something getting in there in acting as a shim. Strange to happen at the range, but seen some stuff get stuck in channels after a hunting trip and cause problems.
Good information gives me things to try. I'm pretty sure scope is in good condition. All rails and rings torque to specs and I have tracked it. Looks good.

This happened to me three times. Once was with a Leupold base with the rear set screws worked loose. Tighten everything up with some loc tight and it was all good. The second time was last year with a brand new, well known, respected brand scope that just shouldn't have made it past QC at the factory. Replaced under warranty and all was good. The third time was two weeks ago with a no-name scope that held zero for a string of 20 shots, then moved about 3 inches and held zero for another 20 shots. Just threw it in the "old scope drawer" and tried another one.

If you are calculating ad gyou must have a chrono. If the chronic is a mag speed there is the possibility the magnrmeto speed is changing your poi. My old one would often change poi by 6to 7 inches. Could it have been mounted and twisted on the barrel ? Poi is usually moving away from the magnets on the bayonet.

I have seen this twice with my own rifles, both times it was a scope problem.
One was me dropping the rifle, the reticle came loose.
The other was a lense coming loose internally.
Both were Leupold scopes.
For a shift that large, it has to be scope, rings or bases.
I had a scope move zero in one day several times on my 338-416 Rigby Improved, turned out 2 of the rail screws had sheared.
Fixed that by going to 8-40 screws and dual pins.

Cheers.

Help. Have a custom 6.5 cre. Had a load with a 7 ES. During shooting. Around 20 shots my poi moved 7 inches high. And after that stayed thier for the remainder of 20 more shots. I had to re zero. All bullets were loaded with same batch. Any thoughts. Checked scope and all parts. All were good. Scope is a night force NXS.
I'd assume the barrel or scope just settled in.

Recent Posts