Poi moved during shooting.

awbull67

Help. Have a custom 6.5 cre. Had a load with a 7 ES. During shooting. Around 20 shots my poi moved 7 inches high. And after that stayed thier for the remainder of 20 more shots. I had to re zero. All bullets were loaded with same batch. Any thoughts. Checked scope and all parts. All were good. Scope is a night force NXS.

That sounds like a large movement. I guess if it stays in the new location you'll be okay. But if it does the same thing with the POI moving from cold to warm then we have some troubleshooting to do.
Will the barrel still be dirty your next time out? Or will you be starting the next range session on a clean barrel?

This is last 20 rounds after movement. At 100 yards. But it shot like that also before.

Attachments

• 85AFE06C-7046-4322-9974-4ECEFC9541DA.jpeg
    85AFE06C-7046-4322-9974-4ECEFC9541DA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
Both of my 6.5 Proof barrels settled and experienced an increase in FPS, but not enough to cause a 7" POI shift at 100 yards. They also did it sooner than 100 rounds (factory ammo), and I don't clean or do any type of break in on barrels. Granted your/everyone's experience may differ. Clearly the gun is still shooting great after POI shift, so if everything else has checked out as you say, then it is probably just fine.

Take your cleaning gear with you. If it shifts, clean it before changing your scope. See if it repeats. Some rifles like to be clean.
FWIW, I have noticed it starts to shift high (not 7 inches) after about 12 rounds on my 6.5x284 with certain powders. N570 did it I believe.