Pls help with ideas for first yote rig; non-lead.

You probably won't be burning through barrels too fast in CA.

Ain't that da truth!
I personally don't have any experience with locking devices since Raddlocks/Bullet Buttons were outlawed. I keep my guns featureless to avoid registrations and such.

If you haven't seen the armaglock, you may wanna take a look. It looks really simple, yet elegant, and their demo vid's show them clearing jams in a second, as well as doing mag changes.
I get the reg thing. I'm not gonna build my first one, so looking for OTC...

I did a little sanding to free float the barrel and it fit great. I have both stocks, can't say I prefer one over the other. They are both nice stocks, the thumbhole allows you to get a really good grip on the rifle.

I'm in. Now I just have to find someone with RA 22-250 in stock...

Nothing wrong with a 22-250, but I might suggest a 243 instead if you end up going bolt gun. I shoot one with 87 bthp, if I had to go lead free I'd try the 55 gr Nosler bt lead free, I've read it's a coyote killer. Will be close to 4k and I bet they're available in factory ammo. And for bigger stuff the 80 ttsx is a killer mono bullet. Finding said ammo, well that's another story right now.

If you haven't seen the armaglock, you may wanna take a look. It looks really simple, yet elegant, and their demo vid's show them clearing jams in a second, as well as doing mag changes.
I get the reg thing. I'm not gonna build my first one, so looking for OTC...

Totally understand. I am not a build it from the ground up guy anymore, but I do like buying the uppers and lowers separate, again, to avoid issues. Not to go off on a tangent, but on a featureless rifle with a grip wrap and stock stop you can have a rifle that can be converted back to "normal" in about a minute should you go hunting out of state or relive Lexington and Concord. Also you can shoot a standard capacity magazine out of a featureless rifle without it being considered an assault weapon. That all being said, my go to war AR is configured differently than my hunting one I posted a picture of.

What part of SD you in? I'm in Scripps Ranch...

Ruger makes the "American" in a "Predator" model 22-250 that has a 1:10 twist, and apparently shoots well, according to several reviews. It might be fun one to pick as a "truck rifle."

Yep, ARs are legal if they are "featureless," meaning several omissions/changes. I can live with no silencer and no flash hider, but the grip requirements are less than desirable.

Here's a decent article on how to change one to be CA legal:

Thinking about getting a Rainier upper in Wylde. Just gotta find something acceptable for the grip.

My buddy just picked up a Mini 14, which is a semi-auto 5.56. Looks kinda like a regular rifle, just not quite right.

EDIT:
I just found this by accident:

That place is in La Mesa, and shows pics of ARs with full grips. ***? Gonna call them tomorrow as I've literally read over 20 sites showing those kind of grips as being illegal in CA. I'm hoping they know something I don't.
I was your neighbor in Poway for 17 years until I moved back to a free state couple years ago. I feel for you guys and friends and family still in Ca..

What part of SD you in? I'm in Scripps Ranch...

Ruger makes the "American" in a "Predator" model 22-250 that has a 1:10 twist, and apparently shoots well, according to several reviews. It might be fun one to pick as a "truck rifle."

Yep, ARs are legal if they are "featureless," meaning several omissions/changes. I can live with no silencer and no flash hider, but the grip requirements are less than desirable.

Here's a decent article on how to change one to be CA legal:

Thinking about getting a Rainier upper in Wylde. Just gotta find something acceptable for the grip.

My buddy just picked up a Mini 14, which is a semi-auto 5.56. Looks kinda like a regular rifle, just not quite right.

EDIT:
I just found this by accident:

That place is in La Mesa, and shows pics of ARs with full grips. ***? Gonna call them tomorrow as I've literally read over 20 sites showing those kind of grips as being illegal in CA. I'm hoping they know something I don't.

Sum,

I'm in the north Bonita area. I was going to suggest a store in La Mesa so we're probably talking about the same one. For my yote gun I ordered a cheap rem 783 out of the store up in Alpine, ordered a barrel from x-caliber, slapped it in a Boyd's at one stock and it shoots pretty good!

Attachments

• 5913D43B-A36C-4066-8C29-68A7FEA95573.jpeg
    5913D43B-A36C-4066-8C29-68A7FEA95573.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 78
A great option might be a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) in 243. They are a little heavier, but they point great, cycle beautifully, can be very accurate, there are several factory no lead options, and you will be legal in Cali with no gray area for ATF to exploit. Sling stud for a standard bi-pod and easy carry and good re-sale if you go another direction. Browning offers finishes from black to camo to shiny blue and walnut. They may make one in 22-250, but I would guess it would be a 14 twist, but worth a look.

I've put the 6.8 Winchester on the short list.

It might be overkill in some minds, but it doesn't matter to me.

Heck, I killed a whitetail the first year I had my 460. Talk about overkill, but it didn't matter to me.

That browning is an interesting rifle. Runs along the lines of the Mini 14 my buddy just got, except the BAR looks more refined.

I've decided I'm going to either buy an OTC, or build it myself.
One that I really like is this one:

In looking at the spec's it says it's 3/4 MOA. Since I don't yet own an AR, I'm not familiar with expected accuracy. I know it will vary greatly, depending on builder/manufacturer, but I've read where several ppl use higher quality barrels/uppers from places like Rainier, or WOA, and get much better accuracy than that. Not saying 3/4 MOA isn't great for coyotes, but if I'm going to own a gun, I want to squeeze the best groups out of it that I can, regardless of intended target.

Thoughts on any of that? Am I just nitpicking at this point?

So, I've been reading and reading and reading about various coyote setups, including going through the entire "Let's see your coyote rifle!" thread, and realized that it's not healthy to do all that looking. Now I may have to build more than 1 rig!

I've always wanted a 22-250, and am primarily focused towards that chambering.

Since I overanalyze the crap out of everything, I'm going to itemize my list of concerns.
Before I start the list, one important piece of info, I'm in the People's Republic of Kalifornie, and therefore required to use non-lead.

1) I do NOT reload. I don't plan on rapid-firing at prairie dogs; mainly focusing on coyotes. What is the heaviest cartridge I should consider when determining needed twist?
I have deer rifles, and don't plan on using this for anything larger, so I'm guessing 55gr - 65gr is more than enough? I plan on shooting between 100 to 500 yds, with the vast majority of shots around 150 to 250.

2) After reading all I could about 22-250 and non-lead, I'm thinking 1:10 twist would be ideal for my situation. Thoughts?

3) I've always wanted an AR, and would love some input as to whether or not that will work in my situation.

4) Is it really beneficial to use a tripod with an AR in this situation? I was thinking it might be cumbersome to move from spot to spot.

5) What would be the recommended barrel lengths for either AR or standard rifle?

6) What would you recommend (brand/model) for OTC non-lead ammo that may have slightly conservative loading, so as to extend barrel life a bit?

7) I like the idea of using a silencer. Will that notably affect performance in this situation? Positives/negatives?

8) Recommendations for a company that may provide a complete setup like this, in the recommended twist? So far, the vast majority of builders I've seen sell 1:12 or 1:14.

Thanks for the help!
Feel free to add anything I may have missed.
22-250 is great rifle, 60-65 grain bullets, work well. Just make sure to get a bit more twist than recomended

Most Rugers, it pays dividends to invest in an after market trigger as Ruger triggers are heavy and poor.......you cannot shoot tiny little groups with a heavy poor trigger. YMMV

This may be a stupid question, but I'm genuinely asking as I have little knowledge in this area.

Is it a better idea, since I'll be changing the stock anyway, to buy a better quality barreled action?
If so, any recommendations for a higher quality manufacturer who has them available?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.