Please share far and wide!

azdesertrat

OUTDOOR CHANNEL PULLS PRODUCTION FROM COLORADO DUE TO CO. SENATE BETRAYING 2ND RIGHTS!

PLEASE SHARE FAR AND WIDE! - From: Michael Bane,

Subject: OUTDOOR CHANNEL Pulls Productions from Colorado

Dear Senator King;

I met you yesterday after the so-called "public hearings" on the antigun bills; as I mentioned, I am an Executive Producer for OUTDOOR CHANNEL. I currently have four series in production, included GUN STORIES, the top show on OC, with several additional series in development. My series focus on guns, hunting, shooting and the outdoors.

This morning I met with my three Producers, and we made the decision that if these antigun bills become law, we will be moving all of our production OUT of Colorado. We have already cancelled a scheduled filming session for late this month. Obviously, part of this is due to our own commitment to the right to keep and bear arms, but it also reflects 3 lawyers' opinions that these laws are so poorly drafted and so designed to trap otherwise legal citizens into a crime (one of our attorneys referred to them as "flypaper laws") that it is simply too dangerous for us to film here.

I can give you chapter and verse on the legal implications if you need, but suffice to say that the first legal opinion was so scary we went out and got two others. Al three attorneys agreed.

We are relatively small potatoes in television, but our relocation of production will cost Colorado a little less than a million dollars in 2013.

Secondly, we have proudly promoted Colorado in our productions (and have been moving more and more production into the state); now we will do exactly the opposite. What does this mean for Colorado? The community of television producers is a small one. Last week I had lunch with a major network producer who was looking to locate his new reality series in Colorado. That producer is also a shooter, and the new reality series will now be based out of Phoenix. That lunch cost Colorado over a million in economic impact.

Thirdly, according to numbers I received from the National Shooting Sports Foundation (for whom I used to work) yesterday, hunting had an almost $800,000 impact on Colorado in 2012, driving as many as 8330 jobs. Next month I will be in Texas meeting with most of the top outdoor/hunting producers, and the Number One agenda item will be Colorado. Already, hunting organizations and statewide hunting clubs around the country are pulling out of Colorado, and we expect this trend to accelerate rapidly.

The message we will take to our viewers and listeners is that these proposed laws are so dangerous to hunters and any other person, be he a fisherman or a skier who brings a handgun into the state for self-defense, that we cannot recommend hunting, fishing or visiting Colorado. We reach millions of people, and, quite frankly, we have a credibility that Colorado government officials can no longer match. Colorado Division of Wildlife is already running ads trying to bring more out-of-state hunters to Colorado...in light of the flood of negative publicity about these proposed laws, I can assure you those ads will fail.

We estimate that as many as one-quarter to one-third of out-of-state hunters will desert Colorado in the next 18-24 months, which will quite frankly be a disaster for the hunting industry in Colorado and have a devastating effect on our western and northern communities (certainly like Grand Junction).

This is not a "boycott" in the traditional sense of a centralized, organized operation; rather, it is more of a grassroots decision on where shooters, hunters and other sportsmen are willing to spend their money. Look at the collapse of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in February. That venerable multimillion dollar trade show chose to ban modern sporting rifles and standard capacity magazines, and with three weeks it collapsed as all vendors and sponsors pulled out.

Colorado is going to pay a huge price for laws that will do nothing. Thank you, sir, for your support.

Michael Bane - OUTDOOR

(Grabed this from my local hunting site just doin my part to spread it far and wide)

Way to go Outdoor Channel!

FWIW, I have either hunted or applied to hunt in CO for the last 5 years. This year my money went to New Mexico for a chance to hunt there. I also cancelled my subscription to CO Outdoors magazine (produced by the state).

I am not a conspiracy theorist nor an "anti-govt" type person, but enough is enough! If sportsmen and legal gun enthusiasts dont take a stand and let their voices be heard, I fear the future is dim for all of us.

Just my .02

I'm very happy (& humbled) to read this, thank you Outdoor Channel for standing up for our rights. Wyoming would be happy to host you :D

t

I am officially DVR-ing every show on Outdoor Channel from now on, to helpdo my part to keep up the ratings. I had the opportuinty to move to Colorado about 10 years ago and never did. I regretted my decision every year until this year, going way to liberal for me.

I hear you guys, but I am bummed... I have to live here and watching hunting gets me through the off season :( I Do respect the decision though. Our state goverment is *^#%ed up right now!! WOW, but so is our federal!!

Perfect!!!!! The morons making passing these laws live in a bubble. Someone needs to pop it. It's just too bad that the law abiding sportsman in Colorado have to suffer. I hope they take their revenge in the voting booth.

It is so sad that one of our most beautiful states with some of the finest hunting in the US is now "Eastern California".... I lived in Colorado in the Late 80's and early 90's and even then you could see the "invasion" of people from California and their effect on the state.

New Mexico and Wyoming is where I'll hunt when I get a chance to do some "out west" hunting next time...

When I was in Colorado the hunting industry was only second to the ski industry in revenue generating for the state. I doubt it's that now and doubt it will ever be so again unless their politics shift back right.

Wake up Colorada... Residents take your state back!!!

$bob$

I hear you guys, but I am bummed... I have to live here and watching hunting gets me through the off season :( I Do respect the decision though. Our state goverment is *^#%ed up right now!! WOW, but so is our federal!!

My family and I moved here to Colorado last year (I've always wanted to, but other things kept that from happening). I was really stoked about elk hunting (still am, but it's clouded now), but the political climate is absurd. I *never* expected Colorado, a Western state, to be so wrong.

We're not in the Boulder area, but the cancer that is California has spread even here.

I never would have imagined this to be the situation. While we will still live here, I won't be moving any of my other business interests here. It's not big money like Magpul, but regardless, I won't give this State gov't another nickel more than I absolutely have to (and I'm *very* good at legally minimizing my tax liability).

Yep, elk hunting in Wyoming is looking a lot more attractive.

A few years ago while staying in Meeker before an elk hunt we saw lots of bumper stickers that read "don't californicate Colorado!" We thought it was hilarious at the time, now I see what they were talking about!

[FONT=&quot]For information, here's a link for gun laws in Colorado. Basically, this law; a.) limits magazine capacity to 15 rounds, b.) expands background checks for gun purchases, and, c.) charges purchasers for the background checks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gun laws in Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I don't see how this will save lives, only time will tell I guess. And charging for gun checks? What the ..?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Making laws to make laws, just makes no sense… let alone the infringement upon the 2nd Amm. If more states do this, we are in big trouble.. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And, article on the subject (3-21-2013):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 new gun bills on the books in Colorado despite its Wild West image[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Posted: 03/20/2013 10:07:44 AM MDT[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Updated: 03/21/2013 08:22:29 AM MDT[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By Lynn Bartels and Kurtis Lee[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Denver Post[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gov. John Hickenlooper signed three gun bills into law Wednesday, eight months to the day after a gunman opened fire in an Aurora movie theater and four months after he said it was time for Colorado to have a discussion about gun control.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bill-signing took place in his office at the state Capitol, 22 miles east of where frontiersman Buffalo Bill Cody is buried, a tourist attraction in a state noted for its Wild West and independent background.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Later in the morning, as gun-rights advocates and victims' families looked on, Hickenlooper held a news conference in the west foyer to discuss measures he believed can save lives.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One bill limits ammunition magazines to 15 rounds, another requires universal background checks, and the third charges gun customers for the cost of the checks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Colorado now joins New York as the first states to pass stricter gun laws after the December shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., ignited the national debate over guns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"This is a fairly significant set of bills that we signed today," Hickenlooper said, adding that none of the measures take anyone's guns away.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But Republicans and Second Amendment activists were livid with the Democratic governor and the Democratic-controlled legislature, saying the bills are unenforceable and unconstitutional.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The Democrats have just handed me a sledgehammer, and I get to walk through their china shop in the 2014 election," said Dudley Brown, director of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Supporters of the gun bills point to a Denver Post poll from January. Background checks for all gun sales garnered more than 80 percent support from Coloradans, and more than 60 percent said they supported limits to ammunition magazines.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hickenlooper repudiated Republican sentiment that the bills are some grand plan from the White House or New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who started the group Mayors Against Illegal Guns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He said he began talking to Coloradans about background checks within a few weeks after James Holmes allegedly killed 12 and injured 58 at the Aurora theater.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I bet I had close to 100 discussions with Colorado citizens on the Eastern Plains, western mountain towns, and all up and down the Front Range," he said. "I think I can count on both hands the number of people who had a problem with it once we sat down and talked about it."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That consensus is long gone. Hundreds of Second Amendment activists flooded to the Capitol in recent weeks to testify against all seven[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tom Sullivan, left, whose son was killed in the Aurora theater shooting, hugs Gov. John Hickenlooper after he signed three gun-control bills into law Wednesday. (RJ Sangosti, The Denver Post)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Democratic gun bills. Two bills are dead and another two are still winding through the legislature.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We're a libertarian, live-and-let-live kind of state," said Sen. Greg Brophy, R-Wray. "And these laws, that just ban the common everyday rights of gun owners, go way beyond the bounds of what people in Colorado think is normal."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But others hailed the bills' passage.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sandy and Lonnie Phillips,whose 24-year-old daughter, Jessica Ghawi, died in the Aurora theater shooting, traveled from San Antonio to see Hickenlooper sign the bills into law.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It's a good day," Sandy said. "The state of Colorado is making great strides to save lives. Hopefully, other states will follow in this state's footsteps."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Megan Sullivan's older brother, Alex, was killed in the theater while celebrating his 27th birthday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"My brother was killed by a person with a hundred-round magazine," she said. "He didn't have a chance."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sullivan also referred to the Tucson mass shooting where Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was seriously injured and the gunman was tackled while switching out a large-capacity magazine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"If it's three seconds, it's three seconds," Sullivan said. "My brother didn't have three seconds. But now other Coloradans could have that time to intervene if a gunman were shooting."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hickenlooper made the same point.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"In certain circumstances, someone bent on destruction, even if they're slowed just for a number of seconds, that allows others to escape," he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hickenlooper said limiting magazines is an "inconvenience" for law-abiding gun owners, adding, "We don't deny that. We regret that."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The owner of Colorado's largest producer of ammunition magazines, Erie-based Magpul, already had plans to leave the state should the bill become law. Magpul officials have said the move will cost hundreds of jobs and upward of $85 million in potential spending this year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Our moving efforts are underway. It's going to be a phased approach, and until the move is complete, we're going to continue manufacturing magazines in Colorado," said Doug Smith, Magpul's chief operating officer. "Within the next 30 days, we will manufacture our first magazine outside the state of Colorado."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Smith noted he will meet with economic developers from Nebraska, Texas and Wyoming in the coming weeks and the company is likely to have multiple locations in the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"This ordeal has taught us to be more diverse geographically," Smith said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hickenlooper also said he has instructed the Colorado Department of Public Safety to consult with the Office of the Attorney General to draft and issue to law enforcement agencies "technical guidance on how the law should be interpreted and enforced."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He said the intent of the magazine bill was never to turn law-abiding citizens into criminals, but questions have arisen, such as on provisions regarding constant possession of magazines.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As for background checks, Hickenlooper pointed out that last year, some 2,000 people who underwent a background check in Colorado were denied the right to buy a firearms, either because of a criminal record, an outstanding warrant, a restraining order or some other reason.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"People would say to me, 'Well, criminals aren't stupid. They're not going to sign up for background checks.' It turns out many criminals are stupid," he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hickenlooper also referred to other bills the Democratic-controlled legislature has passed this session, including civil unions for same-sex couples and in-state tuition for illegal immigrant students.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Each of these bills is about community in some way," he said. "This is an effort to build a better community in Colorado."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lynn Bartels: 303-954-5327, [email protected] or twitter.com/lynn_bartels[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Signed into law[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HB 1224: Limits ammunition magazines to 15 rounds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HB 1228: Charges gun buyers for the cost of the checks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HB 1229: Expands background checks for gun purchases[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Read more: 3 new gun bills on the books in Colorado despite its Wild West image - The Denver Post 3 new gun bills on the books in Colorado despite its Wild West image - The Denver Post[/FONT]

Hello from colorado.

I applaud all the companies that are pulling out of colorado due to the violation of our second Amendment rights. With any hope if the state loses enough money they will see the error of their ways.

I know so many avid hunters that have not filed for their licenses this year because of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.