Please school me on breaks

A brake will allow you to see your hits, but I prefer not to use them. Excellent suggestions above, and since you're building, I would definitely have the muzzle threaded.
An alternative option:
My son was a bean pole and didn't like the added noise of a brake, so I would load a 110gr bullet over 10-12gr of Unique to get him started on the fundamentals. We then moved to AR, then 30-30, in a succession of heavier recoiling rifles.
Within the year, he was shooting full house rounds on his own 308 and my 338 WM.

Muzzle Brakes and More MBM - I have 2 of the 5 port super beasts. For big rifles, its the best. Only thing that can compete with it is the Terminator out of New Zealand.
Have you tried a salmon River ti brake?
I can tell you it does better than the painkiller on the larger ones. Heck I used a small one on my lapua improved just for testing and my 72 yr old dads said it was amazing how little it kicked.

I have a bunch of brakes for different reasons. They all work some better than others. I find a non timed brakes, 360 degree ports, mitigate recoil the best. My 7 mag kicks less than my 308. But hearing protection not negotiable! You must have it, no exceptions!!!

Best brakes are: UM Tactical Rage. Completely adjustable. Great for a gas gun
Lil bastard
Hellfire 416
Fat bastard

Those 4 are the gold standard

Depends on your intended use, they are loud

I was luck
I'm building a new rifle and want to put a break on it so my kids can shoot it without too much trouble. It's a 308 so the recoil is pretty mild for me but maybe not a 12 year old. So, what is the difference between 1 piece and 2 piece, self timing, and port position?

I've done a lot of reading on breaks and it seems like a lot of info is more opinions. I know they work for recoil reduction because I have shot rifles with and without them. How do 1 piece vs. 2 piece breaks work and why would you choose one over the other?

There are a lot of opinions on port position and direction (90 degree vs forward vs rear facing ports). What gives? It's tough to understand when 1 manufacture says one thing then another says the complete opposite ( I understand marketing but dang it's confusing). Do ports on top really effect rifle positioning for follow up shots because it pushes the muzzle down???

This rifle is going to be my primary hunting rig but I also plan on spending a lot of time behind it at the range. I'll probably use a break at the range but hunt without it. I know I will have to confirm zero if and when I take off or put on the break.

Anyways I would love to hear from you guys that have used and experimented with different types of breaks.
enough to be part of a brake evaluation at FT Benning and the seat brake ive come across for the money is Vais. We run them on all of our LR hunters. My wife is just squeaking 5'3" about 125lbs soaking wet and her Weatherby MK V 7 Mag running 175's as flat fast as I can make them go gives he no problems. She will not shoot the caliber without a Vais on it. It tames my 338WM just as well.

I was luck

enough to be part of a brake evaluation at FT Benning and the seat brake ive come across for the money is Vais. We run them on all of our LR hunters. My wife is just squeaking 5'3" about 125lbs soaking wet and her Weatherby MK V 7 Mag running 175's as flat fast as I can make them go gives he no problems. She will not shoot the caliber without a Vais on it. It tames my 338WM just as well.
Looks like my voice text throat punched me a bit🤣

I've only shot a couple of types, the radial brakes are terrible for concussion, they seem to just make my face hurt. The directional type like the APA, Area419, MuzzleBrakesandMore and plenty of others seem to have the most recoil reduction and a lot less concussion to the shooter than the radial types that come on the majority of factory rifles. I have a MBM Beast Ti II on my 28 Nosler and it's pretty awesome, for my next build I'll probably try a brake from Area419 or APA. My 28 Nosler weighs a couple of pounds more than my 243 WSSM but it has way less muzzle jump and seemingly less felt recoil. If your dream is to have a suppressor just go get the process started on that.

Just got done putting a break on a 338 edge that weighs 10.4 pounds. My son is 18 and we just put a area 419 hellfire brake on. We are planning on going with a sidewinder but presently out of stock and won't have it on time for our hunting trip. Make a long story short he was just shooting the hellfire break this morning and recoil is similar to shooting a light gun class 300 wsm for benchrest. He was shooting 300 grain Berger out of the edge. I have videos of the gun without a break being shot by him and the present break. Noticeable big difference off the bench and bipod. The sidewinder should even make a bigger difference.

'd point you towards any of the following:
  • One of the APA Bastard brakes (big, little, fat...)
  • Muscle Brakes
  • Area 419 Hellfire (regular or match)
  • Terminator Brake
  • Muzzle Breaks and More Beast Brake
My most recent purchase was the Area419 Hellfire "Match." It's a four port version. I'm very happy with that purchase but any of the above have been great. Using the Hellfire Match on a 300 win mag. Works very well and really controls muzzle jump. It's a two piece but way different system than any other two piece. I went that route due to the suppressor adapter they offer for my TBAC but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
I second the Area 419 Hellfire. I put one on my Alamo Precision 300 win mag and it tamed it down a bunch. It is loud as heck though shooting at my gun range (covered benches with an aluminum roof).