PLEASE!! How Bout Some Tips on Yote Calling.

Broz

I have pretty much read what has been posted here but would like to hear more.

I have hunted yotes for years with hounds. But my experience with E calls is limited. I just got a new Foxpro Fury and ran out last night for a quick stand. I used the cottontail distress and some female yote barks and howels. No luck.

Right before dark I drove up the road to a high ridge and stuck the caller out the window and played the locator. The freaken woods lit up with replies.:cool:

We are getting a fresh snow as we speak and temps have been well below average this week with lows in the single didgets.

I am heading out in the morning. I have a few different places to hunt. From rolling hills with tmber around it to solid very hilly timber. My past experience is , here in the midwest the yote will hang around cows and livestock. Cows will be calving soon, yotes will be breading soon....

If you are an avid caller I would love to hear your advice.

Thanks! Jeff

Last edited:
Re: How Bout Some Tips on Yote Calling.

sounds like you got it figured out. cant blame it on a full moon cuz there isnt one right now, so i guess it just boils down to the same ol game of chance. just stay with it. try to down load a cow birthing on ur e-caller and try that, hahahah just kidding...:D

sounds like you got it figured out. cant blame it on a full moon cuz there isnt one right now, so i guess it just boils down to the same ol game of chance. just stay with it. try to down load a cow birthing on ur e-caller and try that, hahahah just kidding...:D

LMAO, I bet it would work. Having grown up on Iowa farm I can tell ya those sucker hang around knowing there will be goddies to clean up..:rolleyes:

I am not expection results all the time. Just pointers to sharpen my skills. What do you guys think about changing up calls on the same stand? Like rabbit, then woodpecker and maybe another?? Would that tend to blow it calling too much??

Jeff

iv always thought the same thing, i usually start out with a few female howls for a while, then work my way to a rabbit distress. and then throw in a pup distress at the end. dont want to scare anything off by getting to agressive to quick. only time i use a male challenge howl is during breeding season. or if i openly see a big coyote, and try to get his attention and see how he reacts to it. in my experiance, they are usually pretty leere and slow coming when its an agressive call.

Thanks for the advice. I had a rough go of it last weekend all day Saturday (8 stands) and out again on Sunday evening for two stands. Finished the evening off Sunday watching 900 pounds of dead angus that has just been nibbled on. Not one yote sighted. I will keep at it.

Any advice appreciated.

Jeff

My advice is don't use barks, just non-dominant howls. For example the female invitation on the Foxpro or howler. Sometimes I use the invitational howl. Alot of times I will use the pup distress midsteam of my call'n.

Use the wind and call at YOUR advantage. Set up in a manner that the coyote has to get down wind of the call and present him to you with a shot. Alot of time the coyote can end up in front of you. The places I hunt I use a decoy on every stand. They see what is making the noise and won't even look at you. Gives you time to move if you need to. My decoy is a tool. Its Foxpros decoy.
I start my volume md. low and work up and then back down towards the end of a stand. But it all depends on each stand what I do.

Do you run the Fury continuosly? I keep my calls going all the time. My feeling is that what they are coming for anyway. It keeps them focused.

GOOD LUCKgun)

BTW- If you call in thick stuff, I try to get the call up off the ground. They have to look up for it.

In Christ,

Song Dog

Suppose to get snow again tonight. It has been cold here for a few days. I have been out scouting for scat. I know where to go now. I also got a call from a friend in Iowa. He has them located up there and I may head up there this weekend.

Thanks for the advice. I use to snare them live and put them in an 80 acre pen to train my hound pups back in Iowa. I know they will circle before coming in. I will play the wind better and stay out of the timber. I have probably been getting busted.

I will keep at it. I am on a mission now.:D

Thanks Song Dog,

Jeff

Man, I am getting my butt kicked at this. But I will stay with till I figure out what I am doing wrong.

Yesterday morning I woke at 5am to 6" of fresh snow and it has been cold all week. I headed out to where I know there are yotes. 2 miles from where I was going to make the first stand,, big ozark hill, non graded country road and this area got 1/4" of ice under the snow. My 3/4 ton 4x4 spun out 1/2 way up the hill then promptly slid backward off the shoulder of a steep bank.

I walked to the nearest farm house at first light. While I was talking with the farmer at the back door I spotted 3 yotes playing grab *** (breading season) about 700 yards behind his house. I was invited in for coffee and we contacted the county to see when they would plow the road so I could get my truck out. They said afternoon.

It was now 9:00 and the yotes had been gone for 2 hours. The farmer told me to get my stuff and go get em. I walked back to the truck, got my rifle and caller ( FP Fury) and headed in. I was very cautious. Stayed in the trees next to a creek and the wind in my face. About 500 yards past where we last seen the yotes. I set up. Caller 100 yards in an open field, me in a brush push pile, called for 15 or 20 mintues using rabbit distress calls. Nothing.. from any direction. I waited another 10 min. packed up and headed in further.

I found where the 3 yoted had come back this way and hunted a large strip of brush in an open valley. I put the caller in the edge of the brush and stood in the edge of the timber between some trees. I was well hidden. This time I used rabbit distress, then woodpecker and then waited for 15 minutes and tried some Fem yote howels and whimpers. Nothing.

I packed back to the truck, it was now noon. The county showed up at 2:00 and plowed the road then gave me a pull with the road grader. I headed to the spot I was origionally going for an evening hunt. Sitting at the gate at 3:30 I spotted two yotes go over a hill about 1/4 mile in. I packed up and went in. There were 3 big hills between me and the yotes with wooded brushy draws coming up to a point near the top of each hill. I moved slowly. Set up at the point of each draw and tried to call the yotes using the same sounds. Nothing.... I sat where I had spotted them till sunset just looking and tried some fem yote howels and whimpers at last light. Then even tried the locator...... no answer.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks to anyone that reads it and can lend some advice. I have been out several times on many stands and I know yotes are in the area. I must be doing something wrong..... wrong sounds? to Loud ? (I start low and work up then back down to finish) Day calling tough??

My legs are sore today from several miles of snow and ice walking. But I will not give up. I am heading up to Iowa this weekend to my old stomping grounds where I took many many yotes with hounds.

If you are a successful caller please lend your thoughts or advice!!

Thanks! Jeff

i guess the only thing you could try is a male challenge howl and try to **** them off ,act like ur there to take their girls from them, but by the way it sounds that probly wouldnt work either. i figured the rabbit distress would be a sure thing hands down. stay with it........

I have no experience with e-callers. I can think of a few situations where I think that they would really work well. I am wondering if you are calling too loud with it. Coyotes can hear really well. I get them to come in from quite a ways with mouth calls that I am not blowing loud at all. You might be calling too much to. Make sure that you wait two or three minutes between series of calls. I live where I can see the coyote's way farter than I can shoot them. I also know that if one rabbit call does not start to bring them in when I blow it another different sounding rabbit call will sometimes. Try to call where you think there has not been a lot of hunting pressure. Do not give up and keep after them. I was not very successful at all when I first started calling coyotes. There are a lot of guys that are better at it than I am.

This is what I need to hear guys. I think the to loud might be part of it. Don't worry. I am not giving up. I will be at it again this weekend. If I have to I will buy one of my old hounds back.:D

Thanks! And keep it comming. Jeff

scan0025.jpg

Broz that is a really cool picture of the hounds and coyote in the pipe. I used to have hounds out here in CA, but lost everything I owned in a flood a few years back. I just posted The Rainy Day coyote post. You can see every thing I take coyote hunting in that picture. Really try to call where you think no one else has. I have better luck at new spots, than at ones that I hunt all the time.

Benlow, I REALLY miss my hounds. Just can't have them living where I do now. Sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure I am calling virgin grounds. I will check out your post.

Thanks!

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts