Please Help

TiredOfMissing

Hello from Livingston Montana, I have a 2 part question for anyone with an honest answer. I'am looking to purchase a new rifle and scope very soon, (this hunting season is the last time I plan on missing elk) I have been looking at the Remington model 700 xcr ii in the 300 ultramag caliber, I would like to know what kindof recoil that rifle has before I purchase I am not a small person around 250lbs, what I don't want to do is put a muzzle brake on it as an added expense, I want a rifle that will perform from 100 yards to 1000 yards with enough force to take down an elk if the chance comes up, and feel confident ( with practice) at 5 to 800 yards if need be. The second question is I have been looking at the Leatherwood Hi-Lux Optics the Camputer ART 6-24x50 model can anyone tell me if these are good scopes or not all reviews say yes but I want a field tested answer!! thanks againgun)

Whether YOU would need a brake on a 300RUM, would depend on your shooting style, the fit of the gun and your personal ability to handle recoil. The Rem 700 / 300RUM is definitely capable of cleanly taking elk at 1000yds.

I'm not familiar with the Leatherwood scope, I tried looking up the specifications to see how much eye relief it has, but couldn't find the specs. If you use the 300RUM without a brake, you don't want a scope with minimal eye relief. As an example, the NightForce 3.5x15x50 has 3.9inches of eye relief.

I see the rifle itself is 7.4 lbs, steel rail/rings is another pound. I use NightForce NXS scopes which weigh about 2 more pounds, for a total of 10.5-11 pounds. I don't believe it would be an issue for me to shoot that rifle without a Brake. My 'packing rifle' is a 8lb total weight, 7mm Rem Mag without a brake.

Hope this helps.

AJ

I've seen men bigger than you bring in that gun to sell with half a box of cartriges.

Get somthing reasonable, learn to shoot it well, and grow into the LR sport.

You didn't state your age, experience level, shooting handloads or factory, why you are missing so much. ect

So I am going to assume you are inexperienced based on your statement, and tell you this.

For the most part you can't buy long range, because that would mean anyone could buy experience, and experience is what you need not a 300 rum.

Get a 7mm rem mag, learn to shoot it well, practice at distance in the wind, till you shoot the barrel out, if you don't handload buy good LR ammunition, check Gunwerks, HSM ect.

By the time you need a barrel you will not miss anymore.

Trust me you will never shoot an unbraked rum well enough or enough to ever be capable of shooting anything over 600 yards, and thats if your lucky.

Thanks AJ and CoyBoy for the input, I guess I did not state my experience on my last post (sorry) new guy Ha Ha, anyway I am 35 years old and have been hunting for 23 years and have only shot my Mossberg 30.06 with 180 grain for hunting. I have other weapons for varmits and and targets. I have never been able to sight that gun in very good ever since I got it I have just been too cheap to buy another one, although I put down several animals deer, elk, and other critters with this gun I have had it with trying to group my shots, I have floated the barrell, changed scopes and made sure that everything was tight, also have made sure the crown was not damaged, Missing the elk this year at 300 yards made me sick to my stomach and decided it was time to an upgrade, I just want to do it right, this rifle will hopefully be my New trusted rifle for many years, thanksgun)

Nothing about LRH is cheap, A guy might get real lucky and buy a factory gun that shoots factory ammo really well. But then he needs to practice alot which means shooting alot of ammo, that is why 98% of us who are serious about this handload. That requires spending more money on equipment, which if you continue shooting alot will pay for it self.
The problem is most hunters are not dedicated enough to get really good at any of it.

If I was a newbe and on a non custom rifle budget, this is how I would go about it today.

I would try to be real proficent out to say 400 yards, and would buy a factory gun with a reputation of holding 1 moa; TC Icon, Weatherby Vangaurd sub-moa, tikka t-3. Howa 1500. Most any cartrige would work, 308, 30-06, 7 RM, 270, 300wm, any WSM. (I really like the T-3)

Then I would start to handload because it's the best way to get a good gun to shoot really well.

I would have the trigger worked over and the gun bedded and floated, (if it's possible via stock material ect.)

I would spend good money on great rings and bases and mid range money on a decent scope; Nikon Monarch, vortex pst, bushnel elite, vx-3. somthing that had resetable turrets.

Get a harris bipod, a rear bag.

By year 2 I would try and get to 500 yards. extending my capabilities little by little each year.

At some point you may need to then upgrade to a larger magnum with a muzzle brake in a semi or full custom, as you need to increase down range energy and reduce wind drift.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.