Please help me spend my money

Majja13

Hey all if this has been asked before please forgive me, I am kind of new the the long range game. I am looking at a budget build. This project is to give me a hobby to do over the winter other than play video games. I am wanting to build a rifle that will reach out further than my 22-250 for punching paper and and also to shoot little furry critters. I intend to take it out to about 1000 yds. I am looking at either a 6.5 x 47 Lapua or a good old 308. I want to do as much of this myself as I can.

So my question to all of you is would you build this on a Stevens 200 or a Howa 1500 action. I am open to any and all advice. This action will most likely for now go into a B&C Tactical stock. I do reload and have been doing so for many many years so store bought ammo is not a concern.

Thank you all in advance and please feel free to post any info good or bad I perfer to make a n informed decision. gun)

Majja

Keeping an eye on what your shooting preferences might be in the future is the best way to start. An example if you are certain that your interests will be as stated, I would think of something built off of an action for the 308, they are common and plentiful which equates to getting a good deal on one. It is very successfuly used with cartridges from .243 to .338. If you are thinking of maybe wanting something with a little more poop, starting with a 30 - 06 size action will yield cartridges that are more or less quite common from 6.5 - .375 . If you plan ahead its all only a barrel change away from being something else! - make the wrong choice and you will be needing more than just a barrel!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts