Please help me pick the right Caliber

Depends on the length of bullet you want to shoot. (not necessarily weight) If you are going to shoot long 105 grainers, you probably want a 9 twist. If you were going to shoot the really light (short) bullets you might go as slow as a 12. A 10 is a good all around twist. That's why most manufacturers use it. It takes more twist to stabilize a longer bullet(accuracy). Having said all that, it is best to not overtwist as it accentuates flaws in the bullet (inaccuracy). In other words, use the slowest twist that will stabilize the longest bullet that you are going to shoot. There are tables that will help you decide or better yet, just call a gunsmith or barrel maker. Most are more than willing to help.....Rich

well, I plan to use the 243 I get for deer, coyote, and praire dog hunts...So what do you suggest?

For shots between 20yds to 500yds I would want to use a bullet in the weight range of 80 to 100 grains. A 1:10 twist will be sufficient for these bullets. If you want to go 300 yards to 1000 yards regularly, you are going to need a heavier bullet in the 105 to 115 grain class. This will require a minimum of 1:9 and for the 115grn class bullet you will need to have a 1:7.5 to 1:8 twist. These should be the ones to use if you plan on going out to 600+ regularly to keep it on target. IMHO

Tank

You forgot this one on your list. Savage Arms Model 12 Varminter Low Profile I have one of these that started as a .308 and now is a 300WSM and you will not be disappointed. The 1:9.25 will handle the 105's and 107's. Any of the savages would be my pick. If you are carrying in the woods, then I would consider either of the savages you have chosen, but if you are prairie dog hunting and ghog hunting, I would consider the mod 12 for the 26" barrel. Adds velocity and they are real shooters.

I have shot some Rugers, but just not really big on them. They do shot pretty good though. I really like the laminated one you picked. Just bare in mind with the Ruger you will have to get trigger work done to make the trigger lighter.

Savage all the way for me.

Tank

Thanks tank, I actually thought i had put that one too. I also just found this and looks pretty good what do you think?

Howa Varminter Supreme & Thumbhole Varminter Supreme

What I want is something for the best precision I can get without going into the big money of a custom rifle.

right now Im feeling Savage.

First, I really like Howa actions. They are typical of a Mauser copy action, but very good quality and smooth. I have shot one for several years before I got into my Savages. It had some trigger work done to it and glass bedded. I built a load for that rifle shooting 120grn SGK BTHP, that would cut a single hole all day long if I did my part.

Second, is the "BUT". Looking at their barreled actions, it looks like you can only get it in a 1:10 twist barrel. I would call Legacy Sports to see if their varminter comes in a 1:9. If it does not, then you are limited to 100grn bullet or less.

Again with the Howa, you would have to get it accurized like the Ruger getting the trigger work done. I know you wouldn't be disappointed with that rifle either if you can get it in the twist you are looking for.

Tank

I think a .223 is a good place to start. I bought one to practice grouping and trigger control. I use it for rabbit hunting a lot and use my AR for coyotes with the same caliber.

Start with that and then get a .308 or something for a little more power but good practice.

Thanks for your service.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts