Please help me pick between a Nightforce and Swarovski

JayR

I will have my custom 7 STW back soon and need to pick out a scope, I will be using it for deer hunting with a realistic max shot being 500 yards. I really like the ballistic reticle , as alot of shots will be relatively quick. So, I am considering the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 with the velocity 1000 reticle or the Swarovski Z5 5x25x52 with the BRH. I have an NXS 5.5x22 now and love it. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I would choose Nightforce... while the Euro-optics are truly awesome, the European economy is anything but... I'd be a little skittish of dropping that kind of money on something from that side of the pond--at least for the foreseeable future.

I would choose Nightforce... while the Euro-optics are truly awesome, the European economy is anything but... I'd be a little skittish of dropping that kind of money on something from that side of the pond--at least for the foreseeable future.

Swarovski has scope manufacturing capabilities in the US. I'm sure a multi-billion dollar company has realized the position of the euro.

I'd go with the Swaro in the 5-25 with either the BRH or BT model with the 4W reticle. The velocity reticle is great......however make sure you run the velocity reticle calculator for any load you might use to make sure the reticle doesn't change. Because the velocity reticle is based on velocity, if you change velocity or atmospheric conditions it might change the type of reticle you need. Just do your homework on the back end is all i'm saying.

Is weight a factor? The NF as you know is a beast of a scope where as the swaro is on the lighter side.

Jayesh,

Normally, I would say 22-25X is too high for big game at 500 yds. In this case, though, the optical quality of both scopes is quite good, so the penalty is small. I agree with mtg about the Swaro BRH or BT/4W.

You could save a few bucks and some weight with the Z5 3.5-18x44. The 5-25X56 will give you 25% more range at dawn or dusk, however. Either way, the Z5 glass is stunning. Image distortion and glare are almost nonexistent. The contrast is truly outstanding. Both scopes are featherweights compared to the closest Nightforce.

Unless your deer are the size of bunny rabbets at 500 yds...these 2 scopes are too much on the top end. 18-20 power on the top end should suffice and Id go for the Swaro over the nightforce for MY hunting purposes every time.

I have both and like them each for what I use them for.
I use the nightforce for long range shooting (600 yards plus) and dialing up the moa.
I have the npr1 reticle as you can use the moa hash marks if desired where as the velocity reticle has really obscure hash mark values and are going to be specific (more or less)to a certain load.
I use the swarovski brh reticle for most of hunting where I don't expect shots much past 6-700 yards as that about as far as that reticle will get you in most calibers. It's great for stalking around as you can leave it on low power for any close shots. Just remember that you need it at full power to use the reticle even if you only have a shot at about 300 or so. Where as you can dial up a nightforce at low power and use the center cross hairs.

The hash marks are really well spaced out in .5 mils in the swarovski and I find it easy to use for most hunting situations with a ballistic program. If you really think that 500 yards or so is your max I'd go with the 3-18 swarovski. At those ranges you could just make a range card and never have to check for changes in atmospheric conditions especially if you zero it at 100 yards and still walk around at 3 power for close shots. I have ditched all my leupolds for swarovski and wish I had done that in the first place.

My 18 power swarovski seems to have more magnification than my 20 power leupold and was much clearer.
My 2 cents

What's this got to do with a product sold world wide? I'm sure as long as Swarovski has been in business they've been thru bad times before. I don't know where Nightforce is made but the economy is bad all over.

As for the choice between the two, I know guys who shoot alot and use the Nightforce scopes and are very happy with them. I have never had one but do have 7 Swarovski scopes which are amazingly clear and deliver sharp images even at high magnification. For deer hunting I would get a bold 3 post recticle with fine Xhairs in the middle instead of the Ballistic recticle as it can get lost in very low light situations.

Not sure what your desired intent is for this gun but an STW at that range is going to be super flat shooting. You really don't need 30 mm tubes, lots of adjustment or anything really special at all. Just good glass, durability and repeatability.

There are a lot of other scopes that would fit the bill for a lot less $$ and be very solid options but if NF and Swaro are your final choices then I understand that as well.

If it is at all going to be a carry gun I would be thinking about putting a compact scope on it with a lower bottom end for close up shots. Something like the NF compact 2.5x10 would be deadly, light weight and more than you need for 500 yard shots. If the obj is too small then I would personally look at the NF 3-15's.

Scot E.

i'm in the same camp as Scott. if you can't shoot a deer at 500 with a 10 power scope, well, hang it up. sight it in 3" high at 100 and you can use the center reticle out to 500. swaro has a 3.5-10 that's a great scope for hunting.

I would choose Nightforce... while the Euro-optics are truly awesome, the European economy is anything but... I'd be a little skittish of dropping that kind of money on something from that side of the pond--at least for the foreseeable future.[/

i have swarovski 5x25x52 love it ! economy has nothing to do with product! swaro makes good ****! i can hit deer over 600 yards no problem with this scope !

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts