Please help me identify this stock (with no pictures!)

megastink

Hello all! This is going to be a little difficult, I know, because my camera will not allow me to upload photos. But you know what? I have all the faith in the world that all you professionals will hear my description and instantly tell me what the heck I bought...... now for the story...

I walked into Hemlock Gun Shop in Lakeville, Pa today to poke around a little. I found a Harris bipod attached to a stock that I did not recognize. I asked about buying the (used) bipod and was told that $50 was good. SOLD! Then the owner told me that I could have the stock too. OH JOY!!!!!! Theres one catch.... he had no idea what gun it was designed for.......

Here are a few interesting features that I hope will narrow it down:

-It looks very similar to a Stockade Elk Hunter (ambidexious thumbhole), but with a recessed thumb hook (like on the factory stock of a Rem 700 XCR Long-Range).
-Trigger guard is molded as part of the stock (made of the same material as the stock, as in NOT ATTACHED BY SCREWS)
-Black, Synthetic
-Three swivel studs (the third/lower stud is attached inside the thumb hook)
-Uncle Mike's recoil pad (diamond-cut, not solid)
-Two action screws; the rear longer than the front (that I can tell
-Action screw spacing seem to be right around 5.125 (5-1/8)"
-Internal box mag design, but no metal attached
-Designed for a right-handed bolt gun
-Barrel channel is wide, but seems shallower than my B&C Medalist (could support a varmint contour)
-Very cool and tactical looking!

Thats the best I can do. Hopefully someone out there knows. I was thinking that maybe it was designed for a Savage 110 long action, but that trigger guard is throwing me off. Rem 700 action screw spacing is too long, so thats out.....

Any ideas? If you post a photo, I can easily identify it! Thanks!

I doubt anyone can be sure without pictures but it sounds like one of the older Choate ultimate varminter stocks for a long action savage.

I doubt anyone can be sure without pictures but it sounds like one of the older Choate ultimate varminter stocks for a long action savage.

Do you have a photo or link to that stock? All my google-fu is showing me the "newer" version. while it looks similar, its not quite the same; the biggest difference is the recessed thumb hook. the thumbhole itseld is more od a backwards "D" shape than the square of the current model.

thanks for the help!

No I do not, but you may be able to go to their homepage and shoot them an email and see if they have a photo. The other option may be that kevin rayhill did a full custom with some add ons for someone, but I'm pretty sure its for a Savage even though they call the screw spacing 5 1/16".

No I do not, but you may be able to go to their homepage and shoot them an email and see if they have a photo. The other option may be that kevin rayhill did a full custom with some add ons for someone, but I'm pretty sure its for a Savage even though they call the screw spacing 5 1/16".

Its very possible that I did not measure the spacing EXACTLY; I had my mother's inseam measuring tape... not exactly precise. I think its for a Savage long action too, but I just need to verify. IT seems to weight in around 2.5 lbs or so, had no alluminum or bedding. The pillars arent even bedded.

I'm curious because if it is for a Savage Long action, I may build something with it using either an action from their 111 Hunter XP or a Stevens 200 LA. I have no need for a long action of that magnitude, but hell, I already have the stock! Why stop there?!?!?!

If you can email pics, pm me and I'll give you my email, I'm a lot more curious now that you said it has pillars instead of an aluminum skeleten.

If you can email pics, pm me and I'll give you my email, I'm a lot more curious now that you said it has pillars instead of an aluminum skeleten.

I'm no professional, and I think I mispoke. It has no pillars; just holes in the stock here the action screws would go. If you send me your cell number, I can send you a picture via phone...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.