Please help me age this deer

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I would love some opinions! Will this buck be getting any bigger if allowed to grow for another year??
The pictures don't give you much to work with, but he's not very old and being a Texas deer he may not get much bigger, but in my opinion he's 3 1/2 so you may get some horn growth, but not much body weight. Lot depends on what part of Texas he calls home. Quality Deer Management has a lot of aids on their web site about deer aging. In short, he's trim and tight etc.

I say 3 compared to south east va. Just looking at the pic's but I have a jawbone I saved from a nice buck I thought was 4 and there was no teeth except the front and the Wild life experts said he was old as crap and needed taking out so if you can get his dental records that would help

That's true, however in Wv most don't live to be 61/2 to 71/2 before they're Venison stew.😁😁😁😁😁
I agree, they typically don't live that long many places unless it's a well managed property or way back in hard to get areas. I believe nationally the average age of bucks harvested is 1.5-2.5 years old, something I read somewhere and believe it sounds about right.

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I would love some opinions! Will this buck be getting any bigger if allowed to grow for another year??
I'm from Md. But My kin is all from Pa & WVa. I've grown up hunting in all 3 states. I'd call that buck 2.5yrs old. A nice buck for any lucky hunter.

Young and will get beigger.If he live long enough. One question I have not seen and did not read all replies. How much land do you control hunting on? How many other hunt around you? I know in my situation .I hunt about 40 acres in middle of heavy agriculture area with lots of hunters, I would have to take him or have good chance someone else will.
We have 600 acres that we control. The issue is our property borders public land, making it difficult.

The pictures don't give you much to work with, but he's not very old and being a Texas deer he may not get much bigger, but in my opinion he's 3 1/2 so you may get some horn growth, but not much body weight. Lot depends on what part of Texas he calls home. Quality Deer Management has a lot of aids on their web site about deer aging. In short, he's trim and tight etc.
You mean "West Virginia deer" ! From post #8 by the OP.

Last edited:
We have 600 acres that we control. The issue is our property borders public land, making it difficult.
Kill him so we can settle this mystery. I'd let him go another 2 years personally( if I had the will power). He'll grow another 30-50" in two years unless a public land hunter gets him in his scope.

He's not over 3 judging by the height and width of his Antlers. Nice little buck but, if another hunter doesn't wack him in the next 3 years he should score 50% or more higher than now. Just my opinion but after seeing hundreds like him on trail cams and in person, I think I am pretty close.

Don't let other hunters dictate your harvest decisions.... I sleep at night knowing I passed on a younger buck. That being said, if a child or grandchild had an opportunity to shoot that deer...well, different set of circumstances.

PS: by other hunters, I mean the folks hunting on neighboring properties...

Pictures are a little grainy. First thing I would want to know the geographic region for that buck? If its a west Virginia location and that is a public land buck he looks like a healthy 3 year old. If we could get a better look at the facial color we might be able to make a better call. Can he grow bigger and better? Possibly if his environment provides good nutrition and safe haven. This deer may never have great brow tines but is wide and high. Good nutrition and age produces fairly heavy mass and he would make a respectable deer for the wall in a year or two.

I think he is a 3.5 year old buck . Let him walk if your truly trying to manage your herd for quality and age structure. You should work a good protein supplement into your management plan too. Ive seen deer put on 40+inches from 3.5 to 4.5 . Not common, but it happens . You wont see his potential till 5.5 to 6.5 years. In the.mean time, he will have an opportunity to pass his good genes on. Age structure and nutrition are the cornerstones of any good management plan . The local genetics will be what they are . Let him walk if your serious about quality management .