PLEASE, help a new member with .260 Rem

I have a steyr pro-hunter in `260rem. open up `243 in a full length resizer. 47gns of RL19 behind a 120gn Sierra pro hunter using CCI primers is a good deer load.

i think the first guy nailed it pefect i use a lee press and used number of their dies and stuff. For the most accurate and tuneable dies is redding s neck size if you use new brass (if you use used brass you need to full size the first time to make sure it will chamber since its formed to some else chamber you can get a body die for this it cheaper) then just neck size i like the redding competion setter it just makes it so easy. If you buy these dies you never need or want another i have bought the lees then end up buying the reddings. Still use lees for all my pistols though. I have used alot rem brass its cheap but requires more work and have alot of wasted brass too lapua brass is ALWAYS GREAT i have heard normas is pretty good but have i have none to speak of. I dont load for a 260 but my buddies use lapua and serria bullets i have used both in other rounds I like them alot as well a bergers

good luck this is exspensive and addicting hobby take your time and should be fine every rifle is different the best load for one may be no where close to another always work up till you get pressure signs the back it down little

noflyers,

good calibre you have there - i love my 260Rem custom.

Others will be along to comment but here is what works for me:

- Nosler custom brass (expensive but saves fannying around with case prep)
- Redding type S bushing neck dies (can't remeber the bushing size at the moment) - neck size only and trim when necessary...
- COAL: 2.775

Load:
- 139gr Lap Scenars
- CCI BR primers
- 43gr Viht N160

It is a fairly hot load so I would recommend starting 10% lower and working up to check it is okay in your rifle. For me this yeilds 2680fps (+/- 16fps)through a 26inch barrel. I regularly shoot up to 1200 yards with good results.

PS - I use the same press as you! There are folks with very strong opinions of what is a good (or bad) press. Frankly until I get much better/more experience with reloading the Lee will be just fine. I would spend your money on decent dies - again just my opinion.

Hi, guys. I just shot my first test rounds with my new 260 today. I expected better results. I Am from South Africa and we can only get local powder, but uses primers an bullets from the States.

I used Sierra 120gr Pro hunter and CCi 200 primers. I am loading for all my other calibers and am not new to this. The groups I got from 6 different loads was unsatisfying.

What to use next in bullet heads and what is the most likely overall length?

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts