Please fill me in on tripods

WanderingGoatie

I already pulled the trigger on what I thought was the perfect hunting tripod setup, and I'm fairly certain I screwed up by going cheap. While I wait for it to arrive...

what is the perfect setup for p-dogs, coyotes, antelope, and possibly other big game? Multi-gun setups, multi caliber, 100-1k what's is the dream setup?

What tripod did you buy?

I have a Manfrotto and Innorel right now. Both have good things and bad things, if I was buying again and those were my two choices...it would be tight. There are other budget options that are looking really good including the TNVC Night Stalker and the Cabela's Death Grip (carbon).

For the money I think Leofoto is pretty solid. I have a 55 ball head from them and I can't tell much difference between it and a RRS. Their Tripods do weigh more then RRS but good and solid. Still not cheap but cheaper then RRS!

If you want to shoot LR from a tripod I would look at direct mounts and leveling heads. Feisol and RRS tripods are solid. RRS makes a pretty good ball head but when I went from that to a RRS leveling head it cut my groups in half. There really is no way to shoot well without spending some serious money. A harris bipod on the ground will shoot as good as most of the best tripod setups. Lesser tripods will give you movement that translates into larger groups. There was a good review on the Hide where a guy went through a bunch of different setups with pictures that i wish I would have seen before I started down this path of buying cheap tripods and heads.

I've been keeping my eye on this ball head which they pair with a Slik Pro tripod. Seems purpose built for shooting and at a good price point.

I already pulled the trigger on what I thought was the perfect hunting tripod setup, and I'm fairly certain I screwed up by going cheap. While I wait for it to arrive...

what is the perfect setup for p-dogs, coyotes, antelope, and possibly other big game? Multi-gun setups, multi caliber, 100-1k what's is the dream setup?

A lot of guys I hear that have real issues with their tripod set up pain no attention to the weight rating. That's going to probably be your best tell tell sign if you're going to have an issue. Obviously there's other issues like quality of the joint, and if there's play in them, generally, a ball/pan head and tripod that's rated for about 45ish lbs should be plenty to get you by. Next is the mounting. Like between the hog and pig saddle. The pig saddle is fine for 98% of most shooters, but the hog saddle is going to hold those bigger 20lb competition better.

A lot of guys I hear that have real issues with their tripod set up pain no attention to the weight rating. That's going to probably be your best tell tell sign if you're going to have an issue. Obviously there's other issues like quality of the joint, and if there's play in them, generally, a ball/pan head and tripod that's rated for about 45ish lbs should be plenty to get you by. Next is the mounting. Like between the hog and pig saddle. The pig saddle is fine for 98% of most shooters, but the hog saddle is going to hold those bigger 20lb competition better.

I bought an innorel 90 that's supposed to be rated to 90ish lbs. everything I've dumped into tripod, saddle, and ball head I'm at about $500. Buyer's remorse has me going, "$2-300 more and I could've just bought everything RRS".

Seems like in shooting $2-300 just gets a guy to that next price point where everyone just says to spend yet another couple hundo and get X thing cuz it's sooooo much better than cheaper Y thing. Never ending cycle

I bought an innorel 90 that's supposed to be rated to 90ish lbs. everything I've dumped into tripod, saddle, and ball head I'm at about $500. Buyer's remorse has me going, "$2-300 more and I could've just bought everything RRS".

Seems like in shooting $2-300 just gets a guy to that next price point where everyone just says to spend yet another couple hundo and get X thing cuz it's sooooo much better than cheaper Y thing. Never ending cycle

Ah I see. Lol you'll probably be good.

I was thinking cheap like a slik pro, with a ebay ball head and a bog pod grip or something.

RRS with a an arca or something is cool, but people have definitely got by with a manfroto a pig saddle.

with no budget, RRS and the T3 leveling head. I went with a Feisol which is a bit cheaper, and I don't feel at a loss, and I got the BH55 ball head. I should have gotten the t3 leveling head instead, and it does fit with my 3372 Feisol. My son and I have shot several deer over several seasons, and I run my set-up for PRS with few complaints, it just could be a little steadier with the leveling head. I have little trouble hitting 2 moa targets, and when I did group practice, could even turn in a sub MOA 5 shot group standing from the tripod, but normally I just shot steel or dots.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Really Right Stuff tripod. I've got a cheap tripod I will take to the local thrift store, tired of messing around...

Oh yeah, after seeing all the pain outsourcing has caused our country, I doubly feel good about buying something made in USA 🇺🇸

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.