Please Delete

Re: Free Wyoming Hunt

sargemarlin---Unless you want to hunt cow moose, you will probably need to wait a few years and that's if PP creep doesn''t screw things up too bad. From what I could see on the 2011 draw odds there was 1 tag issued in 011 to a guy with 6PPs and 1 tag issued to a guy in 028 with 7PPs. All the other units look like they took double digit PPs have a chance to draw a bull tag. Up in the Bighorns above where Tikaamike lives there is a very good population of moose. A friend of a friend from Sheridan was up around Burgess Junction over the 4th of July holiday weekend and saw 14 from the main highway alone.

A few years back we were backpacking, tenting and fishing in the Dubois area and saw 7 moose one day. Saw more moose than deer......and lots of griz sign.

That's a big problem in a lot of the areas on the west side of the state in that between the wolves and the grizzlies the moose are really suffering to the point where tags are dropping and units are being closed. It's a **** shame!

Just make sure you're off the road outside the fence lines in that pick em up truck and then fire away on those yotes and wolves, LOL!

I think we're going to have to get together while I'm out around your territory in Sept and Oct to get you straightened out, LOL! Seriously though, give me a PM with your phone number and I'll try to run up your way and buy you lunch or supper while I'm out there. I hope to get up and scout deer unit 53 for a day or two in late September when we get back from our elk hunt in AZ. Then I'll be hunting units 164, 40, and 42 in Region M after that until we leave for a NM mulie hunt on 11/3, so maybe we can get together. Take care--- MIKE S.

Last edited:

topgun3006, I figured as much about coming out to shoot a bull moose, that I'm at least a couple years out and maybe closer to 4 or 5. Not a problem though, I don't have a lot of contacts in Wyoming to point me in the right direction to get a moose. I have some cousins in the Cody area, but they have never had any desire to hunt moose. I did use an outfitter in the past, but it would take me 4 or 5 years to afford that hunt if I hire out. (Wish I could say here that I am independently wealthy, but that would be pure bull). I will just keep putting in for points for now and when I come out to hunt other animals, scout for moose.

The other question I have for those who have been hunting Wyoming more than I: at 41, is this probably my only chance to hunt moose in my lifetime? Is there ever going to be a ceiling to this PP system madness?

Thanks for everybodys input too.

SM

Heck no! You should be able to draw a second tag by the time you hit 80, LOL! Seriously though, I would be looking real hard at the Big Horn Mountains for your moose hunt in a few years as there is just an occasional wolf in that area that shouldn't mess their numbers up like is happening on the west side.

tg30-06, thanks for the advice. Hopefully when I do finally draw, I will be able to buy an over the counter wolf tag to go with it.

SM

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the kind offer. Do you have any experience bowhunting for elk? I can't wait to get an elk and I'm hoping to put a hunt together within the next two years. My ultimate dream would be to get a nice bull with my bow but I just want to fill an elk tag. To be honest with you...if I'm out there with my bow in hand, I'd probably take the first legal elk that got within bow range. LOL

Thanks,

Curtis

not sure about the game laws in WY, but in MT if you are accepting fuel and meals, you are guiding ilegally and it will not be overlooked because you are doing a good deed. Check with the guiding laws and cover your butt. Something to think about. glad to see the generousity tho!

Im also from around mikes neck of the woods. Great hunting for just about anything ya want. Im also willing to give a hand if anybody wants. My specialty is elk and moose and ive got a few deer holes. No intend to hijack just lend a hand

Im also from around mikes neck of the woods. Great hunting for just about anything ya want. Im also willing to give a hand if anybody wants. My specialty is elk and moose and ive got a few deer holes. No intend to hijack just lend a hand
I'd like to hunt eld one of these years. How would I get started to that end?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.