Playing with my new Sauer 100 30-06

New barrel won't be a problem. The 100s are threaded,the 101,404 are not.
Great rifles. I have one in 9.3x62
Mal

Right on. Have you done one? My gunsmith hasn't worked on any of these before so he's not sure what he's up against. The some what conflicting reports of "press" vs "thread" barrel and the breech ring are top of the list. Regardless I said I'd be the Guinea pig. If it pans out I'll be keeping it a secret til I can secure another donor... Hahaha.

The Sauer 100 is built like nothing I've ever seen before. I think it was the first production rifle to employ the breech ring. It's bedding and recoil lug are unique as well. And gee golly wow, I just like it.

Hey Jon, what did you ever do before the Sauer 100? You have definitely found your nich. Great shooting...again by the way! Glad you're enjoying your Sauers so much. 74

Hey Jon, what did you ever do before the Sauer 100? You have definitely found your nich. Great shooting...again by the way! Glad you're enjoying your Sauers so much. 74
Oh, before German precision came into my life it was Browning, Winchester 70, Tikka. Still love my Winchester Featherweight, but most of the rest of them can get replaced. In fact I sold a Winnie 70 300 win mag to finance the first Sauer. Will sell Tikka to pay for the second.

I agree ... Tikka vs Sauer.

Doing a WildCat build off the Sauer 100 platform.

I have being working both over lately and the Sauer has won:

Magazine works as good, or better, plus it's a flush mount.
Action is as smooth or better, plus 3 lug.
Trigger is better from factory.
Bottom metal, is actual bottom metal.

My thoughts anyways.

Agree on all points DBoone. Plus you can load the Sauer mag without removing it from the rifle. Just push straight down with each cartridge. Can't do that with Tikka magazine; you have to remove it and you can't push cartridges down into mag, you have to slide them in from the front of the mag. So all that you mentioned and plus the Sauer just outshoots the Tikka, even with the Sauer factory barrel.

I look forward to hearing how it goes with your Sauer and the re-barrel. Post a new thread when you get it working please.

I forgot the top load feature. Use it, but didn't put it on the plus side for Sauer.

I think I mentioned it before. But only doing a re-barrel for a WildCat cartridge, SAUM which seems to feed fine from the stock 7mm rem mag with length to spare.

DBoone, Well, that's another unique thing about the Sauer 100. All the magazines are the same length and size. Different cartridges have different followers, but the mag housing is the same for all the calibers.

Now come on, don't be shy, this is a Sauer thread, so tell us who makes the barrel for the SAUM you having put on your action.👍

Ranger260: I was mistaken yesterday. I didn't have the magazine in front of me at the time. The outer dimensions of the Sauer 100 magazines are all identical. But the inner dimensions of the magazine housing differs between short and long actions cartridges. I dont know if the inside dimensions are all cartridge specific but here is a comparison of the 6.5 Creedmoor on the left and 30-06 on the right.
The inside measurement on the 30-06 magazine is about 3 and 3/8". The Creedmoor mag measures a tiny bit less than 2 and 7/8"
jcHZSlEl.jpg

Jon...thank you for those measurements. Those look like very robust magazines. What I'm looking for is max COAL for short action, standard long action and magnum cartridges for the Sauer 100 magazines. I have not seen that posted anywhere, so maybe if any of the Sauer 100 owners tracking this thread could measure their mags with a caliper...I think it would be beneficial information for those interested in these rifles. As it stands, I am a "Tikka guy" and would like to see if Sauer accommodates a longer COAL than my favorite brand. That said, given the accuracy you guys are getting, I think it is inevitable that I buy a Sauer 100.
Ranger260: I was mistaken yesterday. I didn't have the magazine in front of me at the time. The outer dimensions of the Sauer 100 magazines are all identical. But the inner dimensions of the magazine housing differs between short and long actions cartridges. I dont know if the inside dimensions are all cartridge specific but here is a comparison of the 6.5 Creedmoor on the left and 30-06 on the right.
The inside measurement on the 30-06 magazine is about 3 and 3/8". The Creedmoor mag measures a tiny bit less than 2 and 7/8"
jcHZSlEl.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.