Playing with my new Sauer 100 30-06

Jon Bischof

I wanted to shoot it and test out some factory ammo first before I bought a new scope, so I slapped some $10 Leupold bases on it and some $10 B-Square rings (Really!) and mounted my 30-something year old Burris Signature 4-16X Electrodot scope on it that I used to use to hunt in the woods where shots were usually under 100 yards. The crosshairs are pretty thick compared to today's scopes, so it is not very good for shooting much past 200 yards. Anyway, I just wanted to start shooting the Sauer before I decide what to put on it. It will probably be my woods rifle anyway, since I already have other rifles for longer range hunting.
Here's Federal Premium 180 Sierra GameKing soft point @100 Yards.
YUHVisVh.jpg

Here is the same ammo @ 200 Yards.
1bTPxRph.jpg

Here's Fiocchi Sierra GameKing HPBT @ 200 Yards
Mmmk2EBh.jpg

My favorite caliber. I've used nothing but a 30-06 to hunt for more than 50 years. Never saw any reason to try something different. I always figured if a 30-06 won't kill what I'm hunting, I am not hunting that animal.
Nice shooting by the way.

My favorite caliber. I've used nothing but a 30-06 to hunt for more than 50 years. Never saw any reason to try something different. I always figured if a 30-06 won't kill what I'm hunting, I am not hunting that animal.
Nice shooting by the way.
I know what you mean. I hunted with 30-06 for 25 years. But I learned a thing or two from 270 Winchester and 270 wsm. Lately, the 6.5 creedmoor really opened my eyes! I think I bought this 30-06 just out of nostalgia for my teenage hunting memories with the cartridge. But l admit that newest whizz-bang cartridges are inherently more conducive to precision. Even so I still can't wait to crush a deer with it 😂

Hi Jon, have you sold your Sauer 100 6.5 CM?
It appears that this 100 has the same propensity for tight groups as the 6.5 CM.

Hi Jon, have you sold your Sauer 100 6.5 CM?
It appears that this 100 has the same propensity for tight groups as the 6.5 CM.
Are you kidding Kiwi? I will never sell my Sauer Creedmoor. It's performance is what led me to buy this Sauer 30-06. The Creedmoor shoots better than this new 30-06.

So the saying is true, no one sells an accurate rifle!
Not me, but I'm selling my Tikka T3 Hunter. I might be able to get it to shoot better if I were to recrown it or experiment with bedding, but it is just not worth it to me. That's another reason why I bought the Sauer 30-06. I had a pretty good idea that it would shoot straight out of the box better than the Tikka and it has. It is only getting better as I break it in more.

It is true that no man sells an accurate rifle, but their ex-wives do 🤣

Nice shooting. I really enjoy these rifles also. Sending one to my gunsmith shortly to see if I can use it as a donor. If it doesn't qualify I'll have to settle on a T3X donor.

I will never sell my Sauer Creedmoor.

I'm all but convinced I'm in the same boat with the same rifle.

DBoone: I'm curious. And a bit ignorant. What is it you want your gunsmith to do with your Sauer? Do you want him to put on a different barrel or true it for you?

I want to put a different barrel on it.

Hopefully in a month or so I can have some first hand info about the possibilities of a barrel change on these great actions.

The Creedmoor I have shoots very well. That being said, I didn't give too many factory options a try because I moved right into hand loads.
The rifle I'm trying as a donor, I haven't shot at all.

I want to put a different barrel on it.

Hopefully in a month or so I can have some first hand info about the possibilities of a barrel change on these great actions.
New barrel won't be a problem. The 100s are threaded,the 101,404 are not.
Great rifles. I have one in 9.3x62
Mal

What about Sauer's barrel insert ring (whatever it is called). Will you need to insert that in the new barrel, or, with a new barrel it isn't needed?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.