Planning first dog hunt, need location suggestions

cheesehead

I am sure all of you get these questions constantly, so sorry for asking again... please go easy on the noob.

My dad, uncle, and I are trying to put together a trip for next spring/early summer. We would like to go somewhere in the Dakotas, Wyoming, or Montana area. We don't have a camper suitable for that long of a trip so we will be needing an area that has a hotel within reasonable distance to the dog towns. However, we would like to be able to bring our atvs if possible as a portable shooting bench and "supply hauler".

As for cost, we really don't want to do a fully guided hunt because we want to keep it as relaxed as possible and reasonable on cost. We would be willing to spend some money as we understand that to get to some good hunting spots you have to be willing to pay.

I did see on a post from a couple of months ago, Kurt from Mobridge, SD mentioned that there would possibly be good hunting around that area and fees would be "refreshments" for the rancher. That is the ultimate in what we are looking for... any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

South Dakota and the Reservations are on my list of places I won't go. Fees seem to rise each year and the shooting gets worse each year. North Dakota and Montana are my choice. Hunting license in North Dakota is about $25.00 and ranchers are very friendly and willing to let you shoot without charge. Montana doesn't have a license last I checked.

The way I find my shooting spots is to get on Google Earth and find the towns. Then you need to call around a find the owner and get permission to shoot and make sure the towns haven't been killed off. I know it takes a bit of work, but few people are going to tell you where their spot is.

A fellow Cheese head.

Thank you for the feedback. I have heard that the reservations are getting pretty well picked over in SD, in addition to what sounds like a requirement for lead free bullets. It was definitely our plan to stay clear of those.

I agree that there will need to be some leg work on our part and nobody would just point us to the best towns. The information that you provided is exactly the kinds of things I was hoping to learn about!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.