Planned obsolescence and the .300 Win mag

Well, I get 2880 from my 30-06. I just checked my app. I knew it was close to 2900.

Has anybody tried the new Hornady .300 win mag high performance ammo? According to the Hornady charts you can buy a factory load and fire it in a 24 inch barrel, and move a high BC 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps. Zeroed in at 200 yards you are only 5.5 inches low at three hundred. This fact makes one wonder why anybody would ever need the imaginary extra range of something like the 28 Nosler. Why not just stick with what is tried and true and not so expensive? Another of asking this is, in real life conditions does the purported superiority of the fancy "state-of-the-art" rounds like the Nosler calibers enough of an improvement to matter? Or is it merely planned obsolescence?
Trust me, I own a proof 30 nosler and when ur reaching out to the cheap seats it makes a difference. Running a 210 berger vld,rl 26 at 3060fps muzzle velocity.

I have a .300WM and it has a belt; when loaded with long bullets near leade unfired rounds are awkward to unload in my standard length FN Mauser BR rifle; after 4-5 cycles a bulge develops in front of the belt and needs special attention to iron out; I like to shoot 200 grain .308 bullets and it beats me up (like taking a minor punch); it is extremely accurate using H1000, 215M primers and 200-225 bullets; primo barrel life is about 1500-1700 rounds; components are spendy & presently difficult to find; it has the required accuracy and ballistic qualities for long range (400 to 1,000); I really don't need a .300WM, my hunting involves rodents & yotes.

My personal feelings are that 400 yards is my personal limit for deers and almost all common hunting rounds would be adequate, I don't push my beliefs on others. Should I need to replace my .300WM, I would look at some beltless round shooting either a 6.5 or 7mm with bullets in the 140 to 180 grain range. A .338, 300 grain bullet would be my first choice for stopping a real big target out there but I don't know much about the .300 PRC.

The .300 WM will be re-barreled to a 6.5 PRC when brass is available (I have 6 pieces of 6.5 PRC range brass). I once had a 14X, 1 1/2 Unertl and sold it to a real nice man who won the Wimbleton using a.300 WM with 190 Hornady bullets, & old lot H4831. Possibly, he might have used the 1 1/2 Unertl.

Last edited:
I mean, are we just going to fly over the fact that the term "planned obsolescence" was heard for the first time by many folks on the meateater podcast the day this post was made?

Looks like to me that the op listened to the podcast, liked the term and attempted to apply it somewhere. The 300wm is still going strong at almost 60 years old, so if they planned for it's obsolescence, they did a terrible job.

This reminds me of the chemtrail conspiracy theory. People live longer than they have at any point in history, but....... people think they are killing us with chemtrails. Well, if they are, they suck at it..

I mean, are we just going to fly over the fact that the term "planned obsolescence" was heard for the first time by many folks on the meateater podcast the day this post was made?

Looks like to me that the op listened to the podcast, liked the term and attempted to apply it somewhere. The 300wm is still going strong at almost 60 years old, so if they planned for it's obsolescence, they did a terrible job.

This reminds me of the chemtrail conspiracy theory. People live longer than they have at any point in history, but....... people think they are killing us with chemtrails. Well, if they are, they suck at it..
Yup haha.

I don't believe there's any planned obsolescence going on. What I do believe or at least suspect is that the ammo manufacturers may be watering down the power on some older rounds to make the newer products look less redundant.

my 2 primary hunting cartridges are examples of this and why I love handloading: 270 win and .300 win mag. Why on earth do most factory offerings for these two especially (along with the .30-06 and 7rem mag) fall a full 200 FPS short of what is readily attainable? Would no one see any real point to short mags and short action rounds in general?

The op has another thread about making a law to only have single shots for closer "more ethical" hunting.
OP "more ethical"...hmmm, I won't waste time going to look for the thread? We each have our own ethics and morals, when it's hunting related. I know what my equipment, training & capabilities are, and know when and when not to take the shot.

This OP isn't even in the right forum category!

OP "more ethical"...hmmm, I won't waste time going to look for the thread? We each have our own ethics and morals, when it's hunting related. I know what my equipment, training & capabilities are, and know when and when not to take the shot.

This OP isn't even in the right forum category!

Len deleted the thread about single shots. We only have this one now. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.