Planned obsolescence and the .300 Win mag

I bought a box when Superformance first came out. My 300 loved it. Cow elk this year at 507 bullet performed perfect. My 28 with the 195 Bergers is just plain fun to shoot. That's what it's all about.

"The extra range isn't imaginary for everyone. Why do you need the state-of-the-art (for 1963) 300 Win Mag when the old standby 30-06 works fine to 300 yards? Everything was new once. If we'd stopped when perfection was achieved then there'd be nothing new after the 30-06, especially not that silly 270 the kids rave about."

You do know you are posting up in LONG Range Hunting forum?
Look up Carlos Hathcock once, he used a lil ole Winchester model 70 30.06 with an 8 power scope. Just a standard model 70

Look up Carlos Hathcock once, he used a lil ole Winchester model 70 30.06 with an 8 power scope. Just a standard model 70
It was a model 70, but not exactly standard. It had a different barrel and was accurized by the Marine Corps Armory. Most of the sniper rifles of that era had the unertl 10x, not sure what Carlos used.

Also, all of his shots were self reported. We ran over a toe popper one time that flattened our tire. Talk to the Soldiers and it was a 200lb, Iranian engineered IED.

Hello Good people, this a lot I have people come by and tell me my scope is bad that I shot at a deer at 300 yards and he ran off, ok we walked out to a spot I have and first I ask is now how is that pole or that tree🤔so I'm sure most all I see here are a lot better than what I got at times. Some of the 200 yd trees I was told 400 and some were 150 at the same tree. But I guess it's what is your comfort zone. My friends and I have shot from 100- 1000 and and one day is a lot different than the next. A lot of variables. Stay with it you will get in a comfort zone.

Has anybody tried the new Hornady .300 win mag high performance ammo? According to the Hornady charts you can buy a factory load and fire it in a 24 inch barrel, and move a high BC 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps. Zeroed in at 200 yards you are only 5.5 inches low at three hundred. This fact makes one wonder why anybody would ever need the imaginary extra range of something like the 28 Nosler. Why not just stick with what is tried and true and not so expensive? Another of asking this is, in real life conditions does the purported superiority of the fancy "state-of-the-art" rounds like the Nosler calibers enough of an improvement to matter? Or is it merely planned obsolescence?

300 Winchester Magnum vs 6.5 PRC (I've had both. - But listen to this guy on the pros n cons.)

(A year ago) My modest 6.5 PRC. And not long ago got the ADG BRA$$ for it (3-boxes of 50) :D
And a year ago bought the Hornady hunting and target ammo when it was reasonable. ($35/box)
Got bullets n primers on hand before the bs covid election.
Mossberg Patriot Predator (Strata) has Cerakote finish. Then put it in a Boyds Platinum laminated stock (Forest Camo) and Pachmayr recoil pad option, Lefty. See cheekpiece.
Who can guess the scope? :D

Attachments

• 20200904_084624.jpg
    20200904_084624.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200904_084728.jpg
    20200904_084728.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
  • 20200904_084700.jpg
    20200904_084700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I get 2900fps out of my 30-06 with factory Hornady superformance.

If you ask the average deer hunter if a 300wm is too much gun, they will almost universally agree. If you ask the same question about the 30-06, the same group will almost universally agree that it is acceptable.

They don't realize that depending on the factory cartridge, you could be shooting the exact same 180gr bullet at the exact same speed.

There are well circulated memes about people who hunt with a .300wm because there is a massive imaginary leap from everything smaller to it in the public's mind..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.