Planned obsolescence and the .300 Win mag

The extra range isn't imaginary for everyone. Why do you need the state-of-the-art (for 1963) 300 Win Mag when the old standby 30-06 works fine to 300 yards? Everything was new once. If we'd stopped when perfection was achieved then there'd be nothing new after the 30-06, especially not that silly 270 the kids rave about.

View attachment 244914
Everything was new once. Well said.
There was a time when the 250 savage was eyed cautiously because of its crazy high 3000fps muzzle velocity.

The .300 win mag won't be going anywhere, planned or otherwise.

it's nice to improve on what is and see what could be.

it's nice to have lots of options.

I like my .300 win mag. A 28 Nosler sounds like fun too.

😂😂😂 Of course not! Just the distances most here shoot makes 300 no big deal. It wasn't a slap at you at all just an observation. Maybe not as humorous as I hoped. The 06 is actually IMO a pretty decent LR rifle with right set up. Put it in a 26" barrel and it behaves a lot differently than the standard 22" barrel it is normally in. I hope you do not take it any other way than what I just explained.
.30-06 with the 208 amax (and now eld m) at 2600+ is a well established non-magnum no nonsense beast! People tell me anything the -06 can do can be done with the supposedly superior .308 and I find myself just smiling a bit..."okay sure, sure...."

This doesn't help...but my sole experience with the Hornady superformance round was lack luster. I have a 20 page thread on here about Georgia deer hunting and it all started with .30-06 superformance ammo. It did not group well. It also shot some nice bucks within 100 yards with minimal blood trail and they ran for a couple hundred yards. Maybe the .300 win mag performs better, but the superformance led me on a chase to fix a rifle, get new scope rings, mount, and try several other factory loads to get the rifle performing to my standard. I would either reload the .300 win mag or step up to some serious long range monsters. If you're only shooting 300 yards stick with a .308 win. Interesting thread, I couldn't stay out of it.

Has anybody tried the new Hornady .300 win mag high performance ammo? According to the Hornady charts you can buy a factory load and fire it in a 24 inch barrel, and move a high BC 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps. Zeroed in at 200 yards you are only 5.5 inches low at three hundred. This fact makes one wonder why anybody would ever need the imaginary extra range of something like the 28 Nosler. Why not just stick with what is tried and true and not so expensive? Another of asking this is, in real life conditions does the purported superiority of the fancy "state-of-the-art" rounds like the Nosler calibers enough of an improvement to matter? Or is it merely planned obsolescence?
No, its merely that not everyone likes vanilla ice cream. We like lots of flavors and trying to say "well vanilla should be sweet and flavorful for everyone" is as logical as saying a 300 Win mag is all anyone would ever need. We want 31 flavors or more. It doesn't hurt vanilla that someone likes strawberry. ;-)

Cartridges, bullets, powders, and rifles have improved dramatically in the past few years. We have factory rifles capable of accuracy that would have been target grade twenty years ago. The .300WM was the long range military sniper caliber for years and the .308W worked well for intermediate ranges. Before that the 30-06 was the sniper round. The .338 Lapua has replaced all of them for long range. Now it seems that the .300 PRC might replace them. Like they say about engine power, "There no replacement for displacement". We can argue all day about cartridge efficiency, short fat powder columns, inherit accuracy, Wyatt boxes, etc., but the bottom line is personal preference. I have a .300 RUM, .338 WM, .338 RUM, 7mmSTW, and .26 Nosler. But they don't go hunting very often unless I anticipate long shots. I hunt mostly with my 30-06, 6.5 RM, or my ultra light .300 SAUM. Like i said personal preference. For long range, for me over 400 yards, many variables come into play, wind, shot angle, and bullet drop have to be accounted for. So, if you like the .300WM, use a good HUNTING bullet, and learn it's ballistics.

"The extra range isn't imaginary for everyone. Why do you need the state-of-the-art (for 1963) 300 Win Mag when the old standby 30-06 works fine to 300 yards? Everything was new once. If we'd stopped when perfection was achieved then there'd be nothing new after the 30-06, especially not that silly 270 the kids rave about."

You do know you are posting up in LONG Range Hunting forum?
Find a factory 06 load that your rifle likes and go to 1k. Carlos Hathcock liked it just fine. Plenty of thin skin hunters popping stuff at 1k for a century.

Has anybody tried the new Hornady .300 win mag high performance ammo? According to the Hornady charts you can buy a factory load and fire it in a 24 inch barrel, and move a high BC 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps. Zeroed in at 200 yards you are only 5.5 inches low at three hundred. This fact makes one wonder why anybody would ever need the imaginary extra range of something like the 28 Nosler. Why not just stick with what is tried and true and not so expensive? Another of asking this is, in real life conditions does the purported superiority of the fancy "state-of-the-art" rounds like the Nosler calibers enough of an improvement to matter? Or is it merely planned obsolescence?

It's called capitalism and marketing at it's finest!! I argue this every time I read about the Creedmoor, the Noslers and all of the latest and most famous designer cartridges as they come out. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there's just so much powder and so many bullets that can be put into a case and into a firearm, and there's just so much velocity that you can get out of that combination, PERIOD!! A few years back the .280 Ackley Improved came out, it was the greatest, latest, 10,000 yard, long-range, anti tank, T Rex, elephant killing machine on the planet. Then...............the 6.5 Creedmoor came out and again the shooting public drank that Kool Aid!!! And....before I get beat up by the .280AI and Creedmoor aficionados they're both great cartridges and not knocking them. But with that said, if one is honest with themself if one were to compare the new, "designer" cartridges with the "ole" school cartridges there's really not that much difference between velocity/performance. Yes one might get 200 fps difference in performance, however to the average hunter/shooter there's really not that much difference to make it worth the extra expense placed upon the barrel/equipment and the pocket book. Oftentimes a new designer round will come out and I will compare the stats of that designer round with the 30-06 and the .270 Winchester, or....the 300 WinMag or the 338 WinMag. If one has to eek out every single drip of velocity out of a particular caliber, then by all means go out and get one, however more than likely that designer round really isn't that much better, if at all, then the cartridges that have been around for a very long time. I can also provide an argument about the availability, and cost of those new, designer, barrel burning cartridges that have/are coming out, I'm seeing $4 a piece for brass, "IF" one can even find it. And.....lastly I am considered "Ole school" kind of guy. My favorites are the .222 Remington, 6.5-06, .270 Winchester, .270 Ackley Improved, .308 Winchester, 30-06, .358 Winchester, 35 Whelen and 45-70. To me these are all great, hard to beat, cartridges, but......they don't sell magazines, new components and new firearms.

Last edited:
Most people shooting the 28 nosler over 600-1000 yards are also using way better bullets than the factory Hornady. I would go and say most are using the 195 Berger, which is the standard bullet in the 28.
I think, in my humble opinion, Hornady, Hornady makes way better hunting bullets than Bergers.

"The extra range isn't imaginary for everyone. Why do you need the state-of-the-art (for 1963) 300 Win Mag when the old standby 30-06 works fine to 300 yards? Everything was new once. If we'd stopped when perfection was achieved then there'd be nothing new after the 30-06, especially not that silly 270 the kids rave about."

You do know you are posting up in LONG Range Hunting forum?
You know you are posting in Long Range HUNTING forum

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.