Planned obsolescence and the .300 Win mag

pig ranch deadeye

Has anybody tried the new Hornady .300 win mag high performance ammo? According to the Hornady charts you can buy a factory load and fire it in a 24 inch barrel, and move a high BC 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps. Zeroed in at 200 yards you are only 5.5 inches low at three hundred. This fact makes one wonder why anybody would ever need the imaginary extra range of something like the 28 Nosler. Why not just stick with what is tried and true and not so expensive? Another of asking this is, in real life conditions does the purported superiority of the fancy "state-of-the-art" rounds like the Nosler calibers enough of an improvement to matter? Or is it merely planned obsolescence?

Hornady factory superformance 300 win mag at my elevation vs hornady factory is 28 nosler at 600 yards has 7 more inches of wind deflection and 10 more inches of drop with a full value 10 mph cross wind. That's pretty big, and that's factory to factory. Imo that factory 28 nosler load is pretty underpowered especially in BC (wind) compared to what most people here are running.

most people on this forum are not making cartridge decisions on drop to 300 yards, more like 600-1000 yards. For 300 yards I would agree it doesn't matter. And fwiw that's a pretty anemic win mag load for long range as well, there are much better bullets for that.

9A62A870-5385-40C2-9227-75A6C7E863EF.png

A9F4A8EC-0821-452C-B595-CEAB99BAE3BC.png

The extra range isn't imaginary for everyone. Why do you need the state-of-the-art (for 1963) 300 Win Mag when the old standby 30-06 works fine to 300 yards? Everything was new once. If we'd stopped when perfection was achieved then there'd be nothing new after the 30-06, especially not that silly 270 the kids rave about.

30-06wwc.jpg

Last edited:
The extra range isn't imaginary for everyone. Why do you need the state-of-the-art (for 1963) 300 Win Mag when the old standby 30-06 works fine to 300 yards? Everything was new once. If we'd stopped when perfection was achieved then there'd be nothing new after the 30-06, especially not that silly 270 the kids rave about.

View attachment 244914
Good point. I agree on the .270: it is fantastic. I think the .300 Win Mag outshines the 30.06 with the 200 grain Nosler partition, as a big game load.

"The extra range isn't imaginary for everyone. Why do you need the state-of-the-art (for 1963) 300 Win Mag when the old standby 30-06 works fine to 300 yards? Everything was new once. If we'd stopped when perfection was achieved then there'd be nothing new after the 30-06, especially not that silly 270 the kids rave about."

You do know you are posting up in LONG Range Hunting forum?

If someone wanted to spend the time, one could bracket all cartridges in performance into say a dozen groups, using factory ammo. When one throws into "long range", the bracket count grows tremendously with all the performance components handloaders can reliably assemble. We've never had it so good. Certainly the brackets will be argued over but, there it is.

😂😂😂 Of course not! Just the distances most here shoot makes 300 no big deal. It wasn't a slap at you at all just an observation. Maybe not as humorous as I hoped. The 06 is actually IMO a pretty decent LR rifle with right set up. Put it in a 26" barrel and it behaves a lot differently than the standard 22" barrel it is normally in. I hope you do not take it any other way than what I just explained.

I started loading the .300 Win Mag in 1964 using 4831 powder and the 200 grain Speer spitzer bullet. That combination has very little ballistic drop. At 200 yards you don't even notice any at all. I also loaded the 165 grain Nosler partition.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.