Places in the south to hunt feral pigs

Oliveralan

Hey,

I live in McLean, Virginia and am looking for some place to hunt hogs. Preferably not more than 300-400miles. So in north Carolina would be good. I know they are there, just not exactly where. I'm looking for either public land or if you know a farmer/ rancher who would let my dad and I hunt, we'd be fine paying a daily fee if he wants it.

Thanks,
Oliver

well I have killed a pig in North Carolina but it ws in a high fence when i was a kid.. I can tell you places in other southern states that I know of for sure..

Alabama- try Fort Rucker in south Bama'.. also go to the small town of Camden and hunt on the "Core Property".. but its all archery on their land.

Florida- Where do I begin? You can start with BlackWater River Management area. Its in the panhandle and a good place to start would be in the Bryant Bridge area which is in northrn part of santa rosa county just west of the okaloosa county line. killed many pigs there growing up.. would not be hard to obtain landowner permission if you talked to enough people. and if you were interested i could make some calls for you.

Arkansas- AHHH.. its not hog hunting where i hunt em.. its hog killin.. Bring your shotgun with plent buckshot and a good rifle for those long 100 yard occasional shots... lol... fact of the matter is I have only killed about 3-4 pigs with a rifle that could not have been killed with a shotgun. However have missed LOTS of opportunities on hogs because I had a rifle and not my good old bps 10 gauge. this area is near ft. smith at the intersection of I-40 and I-540. I could host this hunt if my time is permissable.

there is also some great hog hunting near Savannah georgia as well as other towns throughout the state.

hope this helps and let me know how you do

well I have killed a pig in North Carolina but it ws in a high fence when i was a kid.. I can tell you places in other southern states that I know of for sure..

Alabama- try Fort Rucker in south Bama'.. also go to the small town of Camden and hunt on the "Core Property".. but its all archery on their land.

Florida- Where do I begin? You can start with BlackWater River Management area. Its in the panhandle and a good place to start would be in the Bryant Bridge area which is in northrn part of santa rosa county just west of the okaloosa county line. killed many pigs there growing up.. would not be hard to obtain landowner permission if you talked to enough people. and if you were interested i could make some calls for you.

Arkansas- AHHH.. its not hog hunting where i hunt em.. its hog killin.. Bring your shotgun with plent buckshot and a good rifle for those long 100 yard occasional shots... lol... fact of the matter is I have only killed about 3-4 pigs with a rifle that could not have been killed with a shotgun. However have missed LOTS of opportunities on hogs because I had a rifle and not my good old bps 10 gauge. this area is near ft. smith at the intersection of I-40 and I-540. I could host this hunt if my time is permissable.

there is also some great hog hunting near Savannah georgia as well as other towns throughout the state.

hope this helps and let me know how you do

Wow thanks for all those super places. I am actually starting a map and putting markers on all the hog hunting places i want to visit sometime. I will be getting my license at the start of the summer, then i'd love to go hunt arkansas with ya! Right now my dad doesn't like driving so far, but i love roadtrips!

Those all seem like real nice places but a little far away for a weekend/ long weekend hunt.

I hunt archery as well, so may check out that land near Camden.

Savannah georgia would work for a long weekend hunt. I'll try to find some more info about hunting around there.

Thanks for all the info,
Oliver

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.