Pix of the 30-338 Lapua Imp Completed

Brent

Thought I'd post the pix (lousy ones) of the rifle I just finished up here last week. Some of you know that I've been shooting this thing in a laughable *** plastic ADL stock for some time now doing some load development with a strain gage setup before I clamped on the barrel block and put it in the stock it was destine for.

Well, my smith chambered it up for me early last winter and I finally pulled the gages of the barrel and took it in to be finished up. We just bought my smith's buisiness off him a little while ago and he's been finishing up all the work he had left getting ready for a trip to Africa in May, so he's been busy enough I finished the barrel block and the rest of the rifle.

I'll have to take it out in the sunlight and get some better photos, these are pretty poor.

Here's a pic of the block I made up for it, pretty close to Jay McMunn's. Jay got me the chunck of aluminum with the nicely pre-drilled 1.35 hole down the middle to whittle it out of. Thanks again Jay! Saved a bunch of work on it, not to mention it fits perfectly! I used 5 5/16-18 tpi cap screws to clamp the block on, and 4 more to hold it into the stock, as the action is freefloated. I bedded 6 lbs. of lead into the butt, pretty much filled the whole thing, but it just balanced out an inch or so in front of the receiver the way it sits. I'm putting a 4 way adjustable buttpad on it this summer, LOP is too short for me but I made it to fit my wife for now. I kept all the lead forward of it another inch, as that's what I'll have to remove to put the other pad on it later. Bout time to go drill some holes in the steel again! BTW, another batch of 210gr JLK's just got finished up, I got 450 on the way... get 'em while they're hot. Jimmy and John both have them now, probably not for long though.

136168.JPG

Remington 700
10" barrel block
1.35" diameter
30.5" long
3 groove
11 twist
Lilja barrel
5.5-22x56 NXS
Leupold MK4 rings
Ken Farrell 20 MOA base
Rifle weighs 27.5 lbs
136167.JPG

136166.JPG

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! I'll 2nd Charles' sweet and times it by 10. Now we'll see some real nice groups being posted real soon won't we.
Wayne

Hi Brent
Hope those racks are screwed into the wall pretty good!!
Looks like a Looooong Ranger!
Keep us posted on what it can do.
APB

Thanks, hope to see what it'll produce soon. I hope it don't recoil too bad, I don't want to really mess with it putting a brake on it if I don't have to, I'm sure the wife'll let me know. She did fine with the M14 and the ligther 308 M70 Classic Compact, so... we'll see.

I'd love to play with this one and put some heavy spiral flutes in the barrel but it has shot so well I don't really want to screw with that either. My tinkering nature may take over at some point though.

Yes, I wondered if that gun rack was going to hold it up there, I was almost afraid to back off and snap the pix!

I like the stock, I'm very pleased with it after all. It's VERY straight and true in every respect. Set it in the vice on the milling machine and locked it in good, then checked it out real well before plunging into it to open up the block area and action/barrel channel. You can't see it from these pix but, everything came out perfectly even down both sides, height, everything. Definitely easy to inlet for everything.

Thanks again. It's a bit on the heavy side but still easy to pack short distances up to the hills we hunt from. My wife's a toothpick, but a tough girl that don't whine about adversity. I have a sneakin suspision she'll be whippin my *** at the range for some time to come, I've got a pretty good load for my Ultra though, but I'll probably more than need it.
smile.gif

Finally something that that stock doesnt swallow up--lookin good!!

i like tose MC stocks, but they seem to swallow a 1k light gun and look a little goofy IMHO.--That fat barrel ang NF balance out the stock nicely--cant wait to see how it does!!

JB

Hey Brent. Nice looking gun. Fill me in on the barrel sleeve idea though. I have seen these on guns by Darryl Holland but I dont know what the purpose is exactly. Why dont you simply have a heavier barrel and/or why not run the bedding farther out under the barrel?

4ked--my guess is that is a barrel block, not sleeve--a barrel sleeve is integral with the action--that appears to be a barrel blocked 700 --so the only thing touching the stock should be the block itself.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.