pitting how criitical are they for the accuracy

Jinx-)

Hello guys, its me again looking down the barrel with my flash light, this time its new rifle I got as a replacement for the one I complain before, everything is shiny as a mirror for the exception of one spot at 2 o'clock its right one the riffling about 3/8" from the muzzle, when I pass it with toothpick I feel its not smooth, it feels like a pit, or piece of riffling missing and it looks like its fresh. Can bullet passing through break piece of riffling? Anyway I feel like I'm having very special luck lately. And my question is" how critical pits like the one I found neat the muzzle and can they critically effect accuracy. During my test at the range today, I had 2 fliers out every 5 shot group, but they were within 1 MOA. The test target my rifle came with had almost the same 2 shots same hole and a flier which made it 0.91" group.

Hello guys, its me again looking down the barrel with my flash light, this time its new rifle I got as a replacement for the one I complain before, everything is shiny as a mirror for the exception of one spot at 2 o'clock its right one the riffling about 3/8" from the muzzle, when I pass it with toothpick I feel its not smooth, it feels like a pit, or piece of riffling missing and it looks like its fresh. Can bullet passing through break piece of riffling? Anyway I feel like I'm having very special luck lately. And my question is" how critical pits like the one I found neat the muzzle and can they critically effect accuracy. During my test at the range today, I had 2 fliers out every 5 shot group, but they were within 1 MOA. The test target my rifle came with had almost the same 2 shots same hole and a flier which made it 0.91" group.

One small pit might be ok, but near the muzzle it is worse because any effect it has on the
bullet does not have time to correct it's self.

If possible , I would have it re crowned just enough to clear it up.

Or shoot it and if the accuracy is good enough then just live with it.

J E CUSTOM

Would a dent like the one I discover be considered as defect, its new rifle after all... Things like this makes me want to buy borescope, so on the next purchase I can look down the barrel and see what am I facing in the future... Maybe I can find someone who would let me rent one :rolleyes:

Would a dent like the one I discover be considered as defect, its new rifle after all... Things like this makes me want to buy borescope, so on the next purchase I can look down the barrel and see what am I facing in the future... Maybe I can find someone who would let me rent one :rolleyes:

It is definitely a defect. Most likely the cutter pulled a chunk out somehow when they
cut the rifling. It sounds like such a good shooter I would strongly consider having the
barrel cut back and recrowned.

Hello JINX: I cry foul on factory rifles a lot. for most brands 1 moa is decent. quite a few have rough spots that are easily felt while jagging the barrel. a quick peek with a bore scope will tell, could be a bur, copper fouling some can be cleaned or shot out. cantact the manufacturer, but Im afraid that once you say it will only shoot a little less than 1 moa, I really dont know where the coversation will go from there.

I think I will contact them just to make sure that their lifetime warranty won't be voided if I re-crown their barrel by qualified gunsmith... and if they can explain what's qualified is, because they stated all modifications should be done by them by their stuff or qualified gunsmiths...

Hello JInx. by qualified gunsmith they mean they themselves. or one that has an official service agreement with them. There are a lot of very good gunsmiths, but generally only one will have a service contract in your area, if any at all. 3/8ths of an inch down the barrell will require shortening and recrowning of the barrell. If you do not receive satisfaction please do not despair. there are many reasons why we get flyers. With a little investigation on your part Im sure that you can dramatically reduce the problem and have the pride and knowlege of finding the solution

Ken Snyder, yes it was cold about 45 degrees and fingers were numb other then that I don't see why groups got effected, shooting 155, 168 and 175 smk

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.