Piston operated AR's?

Lonewolf74

More curious then anything but are there any manufacturers out there making great piston operated AR's BESIDES LWRC?

I do believe LWRC is king in this area but I don't know that I could bring myself to spend 3k+ in a rifle like this that more then anything is a JIC rig

Adams Arms, makes a pretty good Rifle, IMO and they are reasonably priced !
I have shot my AA-15 in .223/ 5.56 cal. for 2-3 years now. It is reliable, shoots SUB, MOA @ 100 yards with, Nosler 55 or 60 grain Bal Tip's and Sierra 65 Game Kings or, 69 MK's with, the 1-7 twist, Melonited Barrel. They are Can ready with a setting for suppressed fire. You might want to check them out. I would NOT buy 30 rd Mags for it tho, as they get in the way for bench and prone shooting,.. Pmag 10's & 20's are, the way to go. I chose a Piston operated Rifle, because I'm LEFT Handed and don't want powder "blow by",.. in my face ! Cleaner Action, too ! Good luck !
PS; My grand son's, LOVE shooting this thing !

Last edited:
More curious then anything but are there any manufacturers out there making great piston operated AR's BESIDES LWRC?

I do believe LWRC is king in this area but I don't know that I could bring myself to spend 3k+ in a rifle like this that more then anything is a JIC rig

As mentioned... Adams - they're great and their piston-kits to convert an existing DI AR into piston are great!. Additionally: Sig & Ruger off the top of my head.

Good luck, piston vs DI is a long debate!

I've had my rare Coyote Tan finish LWRC M6 since 2009... Best AR I've owned. Hand-fitted & assembled. QC is top-notch. Accuracy is pin-point...Even with the EOTech on top. They're worth the money. It will also be the first thing I grab when the SHTF.

Don't get me wrong, I have quite a few DGI rifles, but the cleanliness in which the piston operates, plus the non-adjusting self-regulation of their piston design for swapping between unsuppressed and suppressed is unbeatable.

I have a Daniel Defence in 5.56 and don't get me wrong it's a great rifle and very accurate and never once a failure or hickup but I treat it more like a precision rifle and never rapid fire it either.

I'm sure it's as reliable as they come and I believe DD is amongst the top 5 AR manufacture. Still in my mind you can't beat the reliability of a piston drive gun.

Mud...that is what I'm thinking too. If I was gonna be dropped in harsh conditions in enemy territory or SHTF LWRC is what I'd want even over LMT.

During the LA riots ( AKA Rodney King Riots and "SHTF times" for, So Cal. ) the Koreans used, semi -auto .30 m1 Carbines and Marlin .30-30's to, REPEL the Mob's,.. EASILY ! And YES the Koreans Guns, WERE fired ! They SAVED their Business, in the Heart of LA, with thousands, Looting ! After 2 Days on TV, the so called,.. "News Media" took it off, the Air ! Too, PRO Gun,.. LOL !!! I doubt the OP, "needs" a $3,000 AR,.. to take care of his Family as, the MERE presence of, a Firearm, usually "does it" and the "Mob's" won't know the difference between a $600.00 AR and a $3,000.00 AR !
PS; my cheap Adams Arms, has NEVER missed fired, even with,.. Reloads !

I have an Adams Arms 11.5" upper on my SBR. It is extremely dependable for me and shoots 1.25" groups at 100 yards with a 1-6 optic and 75gr Hornady Steel Match. It probably shoots better but that's about my limit with a thick reticle and an AR trigger. I don't have any experience with their longer uppers but I'm pretty happy with this one.

Built one a year and a half ago on an adams piston and it was a good one. It took nearly three months to get the parts. Superlative arms is also said to be a good option.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.