Piston operated AR's?

morning, have complete rock river 223 national match
and dpms upper and rock river lower, large target barrel SS.
both shoot the old 55gr. new techonologies bullets into .500 or
less. very accurate. I very seldom see rock river
products mentioned with 223 products. gbot tum

Check out PWS (Primary Weapons Systems). I have their carbine and love it. They use a long stroke piston system similar to an AK. Mine has been nothing but reliable. The guy I buy most of my firearms through liked it so much he became a PWS dealer and bought a .308 version for himself.
I'm not sure that LWRC is king, they've just been around for a while and seem to have a budget for marketing. They are in the same league as POF as far as price and both LWRC and POF seemed to be far heavier than the PWS. I checked them all out before purchasing the PWS and I'm glad I went that route.

Sig MCX is another piston option, though not that cheap of one. Mine shoots right around 1 MOA but haven't ever had anything but a red dot on it so never really push it on the accuracy front either. MCX is not AR15 100% compatible either but it does have some good features to help offset interchangeability of action parts.

Another vote for PWS, I have 3 of them. I shoot them suppressed and all of them have been VERY reliable. 2 223 wylde and 1 300 blk. The long stroke piston results in little or no bcg tilt.

I built an AR 15, and put an Adam Arms piston on it. I put 180 rounds thru this rifle, and checked the trigger group, it was like new. I have had it for 5+ yrs. now with no problems. The piston was so easy to install a child could do it..

More curious then anything but are there any manufacturers out there making great piston operated AR's BESIDES LWRC?

I do believe LWRC is king in this area but I don't know that I could bring myself to spend 3k+ in a rifle like this that more then anything is a JIC rig

Superlative arms makes a good piston system. I have Adams Arms and Superlative Arms both. I like Superlative systems better.

i dont know if anyone mentioned but ruger has a piston AR. a buddy of mine has one. it's a little heavy on the front end, but it helps with recoil. probably the most affordable complete piston gun out there unless you get the adams arms kit.

I built one with an Osprey Defense system. Action stays really clean. Didn't fit well with the handguard I had. Had to remove some material in order to screw it on with it. They do get dirty though eventually and cleaning isn't the easiest with them. My support for them are mixed.

More curious then anything but are there any manufacturers out there making great piston operated AR's BESIDES LWRC?

PWS (Primary Weapon Systems) make very nice long-stroke AR rifles and Pistol/SBRs. In 6.5, .308, .223, .300BLK, and 7.62x39. Clean, smooth operation.

Last edited:

I do believe LWRC is king in this area but I don't know that I could bring myself to spend 3k+ in a rifle like this that more then anything is a JIC rig

Sig also makes piston AR's. I have the Sig 716. I can not remember if they still make the 516.

Sig 516 and 716 are both piston AR's with the 5=5.56 and 7=7.62. Incredibly accurate rifles right out of the box.

Customs are going to run you in the 3k range. JP Rifles came out with some piston, side charge AR's at one time, not sure if they are still making them.

Have a couple jps, but neither is piston. I don't believe they currently make a piston semi. Both of mine are sub moa semis with a wide range of factory ammo, and my favorite rifles to shoot. Sensitive to suppressed operation because they are finely tuned, but can be adjusted to function well. Before i would get any semi, i would call JP and ask them if they can make it.

Patriot Ordnance Factory would be my first choice. Sig, H&K, Lewis Machine and Tool, and I believe Central Missouri Machine Gun all make piston platforms; but you can just bank on being north of $2k when you are talking piston vs DI, especially is you want one that isn't going to puke on you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.