Piston AR-15 builds.

budlight

This is my third piston rifle. 20 inch SS match, rifle length gas hole, .625 inch gas block, 5.56, 9 twist so that I can still shoot 55 gr bullets. I can't say enough about the superlative Arms kits. About $286 each. First time out they fired and it was only a little adjustment to get the cases to land between 2-3 o'clock

I'm getting away from DI gas guns because of occasional high volume shooting. I've permanently discolored some once beautiful Nickle boron BCG's and replaced them with Chrome carriers.

Just a 6X24X50mm vortex

Piston rifle.jpg

This is my third piston rifle. 20 inch SS match, rifle length gas hole, .625 inch gas block, 5.56, 9 twist so that I can still shoot 55 gr bullets. I can't say enough about the superlative Arms kits. About $286 each. First time out they fired and it was only a little adjustment to get the cases to land between 2-3 o'clock

I'm getting away from DI gas guns because of occasional high volume shooting. I've permanently discolored some once beautiful Nickle boron BCG's and replaced them with Chrome carriers.

Just a 6X24X50mm vortex

View attachment 215355
I have always preferred piston over DI, but not many choices. Can you share some details how to go about building one? And site you can direct me?
Thanks

I have two piston kits lying around from superlative arms. I am thinking an 6mm ARC and 6.8 SPC. My buddy has a bunch of piston driven ARs and they sure run better than a DI gun. Superlative arms also makes an adjustable gas block that makes a DI gun run pretty nice. Nice looking AR!

I have always preferred piston over DI, but not many choices. Can you share some details how to go about building one? And site you can direct me?
Thanks

You get online and go shopping. Now is kinda tough because everybody is out of stock. But I google 20 inch AR15 stainless match barrels. You used to find them from $90 to $190. You then get the rifle length gas hole and pay attention to the hole diameter. I get the smallest like .076 not .085. Rifle length gas systems only get hit with about 1/3rd the pressure of a carbine length. higher projectile FPS and less ware on the system.

I buy Anderson forged lowers with integral trigger guards. I buy forged uppers without the forward assist BS.

That trigger shown is a drop in 3 pound. So you buy a fire control kit without the trigger assembly.

I use carbine length buffer tube kits. The adjustable piston gas system works with that weight of buffer.

Search online for m-lock front hand guards of the length you like

I buy the Hogue stock and over molded grips

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.