Pistol Powder Question

WV Sendero

I know it is a long range forum but there are alot of knowlegable shooters here that shoot more than just long range so I thought I'd look for some pistol help here. What powder have you guys found to give the best accuracy in a 1911 45 ACP? I have been using Titegroup in my target shooting loads for my 45, 357, 44, and 38. Anything better out there? I am shooting 230gr bullets in the 45.

Titegroup is a good choice, as are W-W 231, Bullseye, HP-38, N310 or N320, take your pick. These are all good target powders for a 45 ACP and the 230 grain bullet at normal or mild velocities (825 fps or less). Might want to go to a very slightly slower powder if you're looking for top velocities, but you're already on the right track.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Titegroup seems to be doing well but I still may try some other the others you guys suggested just to see how they compare. Also, what bullet weight would you recommend? Is the 230gr good or should I go a bit lighter? I am shooting a Kimber Stainless II w/5" barrel.

I have always gotten my best accuracy out of 200 gr SWC either cast of jacketed. My most accurate load in my AMT Hardballer 1911 is 7 grs Unique and the 200 gr Hornady Jacketed SWC. This is a full power combat load. 30 years ago when I had started a family and I was as poor as Job's turkey I killed a lot of deer to feed the family with an old Colt 1911A1 with a Lyman cast 200 gr SWC out of wheel weights and 7 grs Unique. Kept my shots to under 50 yards and put it through the lungs and they don't go far. I used a lot of Bullseye 3.5 to 4 grs with this cast 200 gr SWC when I used to shoot bullseye target matches.

Bullet weights and selections are a fast way to get a debate started! Just depends on what you want to do with it, really. Heavy bullets are teh first choice if deep penetration is what you need, while a lighter faster hollow point might be the ticket for varminting or hunting thin skinned game like deer.

As RT2506 mentioned, the 200 grain bullets are good all-around choices and hard to argue with.

I shot somewhere north of 125,000 45ACP loads before I slowed down/stopped shooting USPSA and IDPA. I tried a lot of different loads, powders and bullets and made A class in USPSA and Master in IDPA.

For top accuracy a 200gr LSWC over Bullseye was hard to beat but dirty as can be.

For flat out fast and flat shooting a 230gr Montana Gold Hollowpoint over N310 or the fastest burning rate powder you can get is tops. This was my Competition load and was very accurate as well. N310 and a 230gr bullet recoils so fast and flat it is hard to believe you are making major. I had people swear I would end up minor PF watching me shoot...but I was always comfortably in major PF.

For practice I shot a ton of 200gr LSWCs or 230 LRNs over Accurate #2 or Clays. #2 meters better but it is reverse temp sensitive. The hotter it is outside the slower your load will chrono. Not good for your nerves on a hot match day. I saw a buddy of mine go from a load I know full well comfortably made major when we tested it to sub minor on a 100+ degree day where his ammo sat in the sun waiting for Chrono. (this was a 40S&W). I really liked Clays better but #2 was free from a sponsor so...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.