Pistol or Rifle Scope for Handguns

redbone

What do you use on your Handgun ?

Do you use an Pistol Or Rifle Scope ?

Do you use an Rifle Scope on an Rifle Cal like 22 250 , 243 , 7mm08 308, 3006 .

What is the Longest kill made on an Coyote , Deer . Crow What kind Scope you use ?

I am looking to get into longrange hunting .

I have an 22 250 , 7 mm 08, 3006 . Encore Hangun .
can you help me .

Redbone /Terry

Last edited:
What do you use on your Handgun ?
Do you use an Pistol Or Rifle Scope ?
Do you use an Rifle Scope on an Rifle Cal like 22 250 , 243 , 7mm08 308, 3006 .
What is the Longest kill made on an Coyote , Deer . Crow What kind Scope you use ?
I am looking to get into longrange hunting .
I have an 22 250 , 7 mm 08, 3006 . Encore Hangun .
can you help me .
Redbone /Terry

Terry,
Distances on Deer: Two longest 547 & 700 plus or minus
coyote: 600+
pd's from 1450-1800 yards

I use/used rifle scopes on 6mmx6.5x47 Lapua, 6mm-284, 6.5-284, 260 Remington, 6.5-284, 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag Imp, and 7mm Dakota.
Most have muzzle brakes.
I typically use Leupold rifle scopes: Mark 4's or Vari X-3's, Nightforce in the future.

I guess I would ask you what distance goals do you have specifically?

Deer?
Varmints?
Paper or steel?

Hunlee try rifle scope on 7-30 water barrel and scope hit hunlee in head!!!This was not good for Hunlee....Evin tho this scope hit Hunlee in head Hunlee is still very good looking!!!

hunlee

Scopes

Terry

Have to ask the same question Ernie ask- intentions and range.

I am a hunter first and fore most. I use the Burris 3-12 handgun scope for all of my hunting needs.

Have taken deer from 250- 600 yards and have had no need to use a greater power.

If I were going to shoot further I would feel the need to put a rifle scope of greater magnification.

Neal

Up until recently I have used 3x12's on all of my HS's. Have been converting over to rifle scopes the last couple of months. so far have converted a 300 WSM, 7MM WSM and a 22-250 to higher magnifiication rifle scopes. will have two others changed by end of week. (270 WSM and a 325 WSM). just like the better glass and more magnification.
It does take some geting used to though
Even thiking about setting a couple of others up with very high powered scopes (12x42) just to do some long range match shooting.
as far as long shots, I have taken a few deer and one antelope past the 400 yd mark with the 3x12's and had no problems with using them. so it is whatever you like using
nmhunter

One thing that is important to help you choose between a rifle or pistol scope is your shooting position that you will use.I like to use a sitting position with the pistol grip resting on my knee like this
P10100662.JPG
.The seat I use has a built in backrest so I can sit anywhere and it carries like a backpack. A pistol scope works best for me shooting like this and have shot coyote out to 400yds but most of my shots are 200-250 yds.

Last edited:
I`ve been playing with a rifle scope on a .222 barreled Contender and it make me alittle neverious every time I pull the trigger. It hasn`t got me yet, but don`t think I would try it on anything with more recoil.

I`ve been playing with a rifle scope on a .222 barreled Contender and it make me alittle neverious every time I pull the trigger. It hasn`t got me yet, but don`t think I would try it on anything with more recoil.

so on a 22 hornet it should work fine ?

I have also used both the 3-12X Burris LER and riflescopes and i can probably safely say that i'll never buy another Birris 3-12X again. Here's the reason why. As a spot and stalk hunter oftentimes i have needed to take shots from prone with a bipod. At 12X the eye relief is too long for my arms. I have to struggle to get the optic far enuf away from me to shoot my rigs, even with the extension bases that r sold by Farrell and Near. I know others with longer arms than myself have also had this problem as well. With a rear grip handgun this may not be a problem, but most of my HG's are center grip. This being said the longest shot i ever made was a coyote at 906 yds. i was shooting the 3-12X Burris Ball. Plex reticle and turret comeups calcd to 1000. I was shooting from a system similar to JLK's. Here's a link to it--

About Ballistics

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.