Pistol length varmint cartridge help

FrogFire7

Help!

I just saw an ad today for a Bergara Sidekick. Basically, a bolt action with sub 16" barrel, in a mini chassis, with folding "pistol brace". Their price seems a little ridiculous, so I want to make my own.

I am contemplating calibers... Thinking 10-12" barrel length? Maybe up to 14?

I would use it mostly for groundhog hunting... Wouldn't hurt if it was also compatible for deer. I currently am set up to reload for .223, .22-250, 6mm BR, .243, 6.5 creedmoor... I think that's all that I would consider at least, from what I reload. Still, open to other ideas as far as caliber. I typically shoot heavy for caliber bullets, especially in the 22 calibers. I have a preference for 75 grain eld-m bullets, currently.

Although I'm not sure what the payoff would be in terms of velocity. Still shoot heavy, or would it be more beneficial to shoot a light bullet as fast as I can?

I love to shoot everything I can long range. Thinking this gun might be a little more limited than most. But I know some specialty pistol guys on here do some pretty incredible stuff with their guns.

Being primarily a varmint rifle I'd kind of like to stay short action. And probably not a monster case, but am open to hearing people's thoughts.

Anyway, just wanting some input... Preferably from people who actually shoot short barrel stuff. I can speculate enough on my own with no experience 😂

Thanks in advance!

-edit: I am also planning on a form 1 suppressor this spring, and will plan on using that on the pistol as well, if that makes any difference

Last edited:
Thanks Ernie, you are one of the guys I was thinking would have the most experience, actually!

80% of the vamint hunting shots I take are under 250. Probably 90% are under 350. I've only had a handful over 600. Also, mostly on woodchucks. But again, if I could use it for dogs and deer that would be icing on the cake. For deer the shots would be considerably closer, or else I'd plan on another rifle (if I wouldn't have enough energy/velocity).

C89D0E1C-8245-490F-B652-D5CE70782AFD.jpeg

In the article is the same Gun with it's original stock.

A fast twist 6 BR, 243 Winchester or the 6.5 Creedmoor will fill the bill too, and work better for deer.
Used a 6BR and a 6.5 Creedmoor below for big game.

Hmm... I don't currently have anything chambered in 6BR, just have dies and brass sitting around. I loved the rifle I had previously. Also really enjoy my current 6.5 and am all tooled up for it. Sounds like any of those would work. That is good news!