Pistol Hunting info request.

trophyhunter1000

Finally have gotten comfortable with my T/C and XP-100 pistols at the range. I am capable of pulling off 3inch groups at 200 yards. The T/C is .223 and the XP-100 is .243. As I am comfortable with both, what is your suggestions and tips for using these on an upcoming hunt in South Texas.

Ernie will steer you in the right direction.

For me, when I hunt from an elevated treestand, I like to use a mono pod of some sort. I've had good results using a cut off broom handle (I have even used a cut off sappling when I forgot my monopod). The downside to this type of rest is stability at longer ranges. Typically, I use this monopod style for treestand hunting at short ranges.

For hunting from the ground, I like to use either a homemade tripod that allows me to adjust for height and also provides support for the grip as well, or a converted camera tripod that has a homemade top that allows good support for under the forend and grip. I've used this camera tripod out just past 300 yards successfully.

This is my homemade tripod. It's been slightly tweaked since this photo, but functionally remains the same.
IMG_0684.JPG

Camera tripod modified for shooting rest / field use. Here, I'm using it for some 303 yard practice with my 7mm RSAUM.
Sending it at 300 yards 2.jpg

Ernie will steer you in the right direction.

For me, when I hunt from an elevated treestand, I like to use a mono pod of some sort. I've had good results using a cut off broom handle (I have even used a cut off sappling when I forgot my monopod). The downside to this type of rest is stability at longer ranges. Typically, I use this monopod style for treestand hunting at short ranges.

For hunting from the ground, I like to use either a homemade tripod that allows me to adjust for height and also provides support for the grip as well, or a converted camera tripod that has a homemade top that allows good support for under the forend and grip. I've used this camera tripod out just past 300 yards successfully.

This is my homemade tripod. It's been slightly tweaked since this photo, but functionally remains the same.
View attachment 163747

Camera tripod modified for shooting rest / field use. Here, I'm using it for some 303 yard practice with my 7mm RSAUM.
View attachment 163749
Thank you buttermilk. Good info.

I don't know anyone that hunts S. TX with a 223 Rem.

A buddy of mine had a 243 Win that he used when he was in grade school and middle school because that's what his Dad bought him. They hunted close to Encinal, which is typical Texas brush country.

He had a good size buck at 150-200 yds that he had trouble with. 5 shots later the buck was down. He was using Winchester Power Points factory loads. None of the shots exited. He was a relatively good shot, but shooting a running deer at those ranges can be a challenge as he found out. Of course, all of his shots were not well placed, just the first one.

Another Buddy got a chance to hunt Nilgai on the King Ranch. He popped one and it went down on the first shot. The ranch hand said no one has a one shot kill on nilgai and asked what he was shooting. the buddy handed the ranch hand the rifle and when he saw he shot a 222 Rem, the ranch hand took the rifle and put it back in truck and said he would get him something better. One shot at the head/neck juncture did the trick.

The buddy was 12 yrs old at the time.

Last edited:
6mm does just fine. Proper bullet and proper placement. Just had a friend yesterday take a big hog at 230 yards and a nice 8 point whitetail at around 100 yards with a 6 Creed XP-100. Both went down quick

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.