Pistol die

SWcowboy

I know this is more of a rifle reloading forum but I am sure most of you guys reload pistol ammo as well. Give you my reloading back ground I have been reloading shot gun for about 30 years and started doing rifle about 3 years ago. The funny thing is, I have all the stuff to reload 45 ACP and 44 mag but just haven't done it. Now for my question, I let a few people use my redding 44mag die and the other week I got it back. I took them apart to clean them and lube them till the next use and I saw alot of what I would call brass hairs parts when cleaning them. I looked at the inside parts of the dies and didn't see any marks or so. Is this normal for pistol reloading and if not are these dies damage now?

Thanks
Jim

Are the dies straight carbon steel? Or have the carbide insert sizing insert? If the dies are not set exact to bell the mouth of the case the process of seating the bullet will shave small slivers off jacketed bullets and the edge of the case mouth. With you saying that it was in bullet lube I take it was the seating crimping die. Just run a few cases through the die set. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.