Pistol bullets?

Thanks guys. I load for the .40 and .44 and the .40 dies will load 10mm too. All we are going to be doing is hiking so no long guns will be along.

Justin

I use these in my 44 Mag, it's a 329 PD so full loads hurt, but these are as close as I want to get.

I shoot these in my 10mm at 1150 fps, it's not a screaming load and I could go faster.

These are some other bullets I have just to practice with the 10mm, and maybe load some bear protection rounds for the 40 S&W.

The softer 200gr are the same bullets that Buffalo Bore loads in their 40 S&W for bear protection. HSM also loads this bullet in their 10mm Bear Load. The harder for the 10mm is just like the bullet that Buffalo Bore loads in their stout 10mm round for bears, only its 20gr lighter. The 255gr 44 mag bullet is the same that Buffalo Bore loads in their "Lower Recoil" 44 mag stuff. These are the same guys that supply the bullets for these rounds, and they're just up the road from me.

Since virtually everyone has recommended hardcast bullets for bears, I'll reiterate my preference for Swift A-Frames. Moderate expansion with maximum penetration.
1685911602213.png

Since virtually everyone has recommended hardcast bullets for bears, I'll reiterate my preference for Swift A-Frames. Moderate expansion with maximum penetration.
View attachment 467783
I guess it depends. I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable with hard hardcast where I hunt (grizzlies) than I would any type of expanding bullet. I'm not saying the A-Frame is a bad bullet but a lot of penetration is needed and any expansion is going to slow that down.

Thanks guys. I load for the .40 and .44 and the .40 dies will load 10mm too. All we are going to be doing is hiking so no long guns will be along.

Justin
i have been reloading for the 44 mag since 1978. i have been using the 265 grain flat point from hornady for the 44 nmag. it was designed for the marlin .444. it is hard and will penetrate deep. plus it is jacketed so it will be more firearm friendly. it's mainstream and there is good information for reloading it. if you go with the 10 mm make sure you look for the most energy. do your reading and shoot enough to get used to your gun. the forty, learn to rapid fire in burst of three or four. as with all of them the faster you get on target the better chance you will have. fast and accurate wins most every time. be aware of what is around you and you should be alright.

I guess it depends. I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable with hard hardcast where I hunt (grizzlies) than I would any type of expanding bullet. I'm not saying the A-Frame is a bad bullet but a lot of penetration is needed and any expansion is going to slow that down.

Due to the lower friction ratios, hard casts can be driven faster with the same pressure vs jacketed, and often, I find it easy to achieve at least 100fps more in my handguns. Similar, one can achieve the same velocities with a heavier projectile vs a lighter one. I.e. I can drive my 255gr casts faster than the jacketed 240's.

Due to the lower friction ratios, hard casts can be driven faster with the same pressure vs jacketed, and often, I find it easy to achieve at least 100fps more in my handguns. Similar, one can achieve the same velocities with a heavier projectile vs a lighter one. I.e. I can drive my 255gr casts faster than the jacketed 240's.
There's that part of it too. I never did chrono my full power 10mm loads, I know that I went over pressure and I'm sure they were screaming.

i have been reloading for the 44 mag since 1978. i have been using the 265 grain flat point from hornady for the 44 nmag. it was designed for the marlin .444. it is hard and will penetrate deep. plus it is jacketed so it will be more firearm friendly. it's mainstream and there is good information for reloading it. if you go with the 10 mm make sure you look for the most energy. do your reading and shoot enough to get used to your gun. the forty, learn to rapid fire in burst of three or four. as with all of them the faster you get on target the better chance you will have. fast and accurate wins most every time. be aware of what is around you and you should be alright.

I have to disagree on this point. When it comes to large bears and dangerous game, and often large game in general, handgun energy is not the most important factor, for penetration (momentum) takes priority. In some loads, lighter bullets can be driven fast enough to have higher "energy" numbers in ft/lbs, but are not the best for penetration and to insure vitals are reached through heavy bone or steep angles.

edit) Just think of the massive numbers of large buffalo that fell to the lowly 45-70 and similar BP loads. Those old loads did and do not have impressive "energy" numbers, but those big, heavy bullets carried a lot of momentum.

Last edited:
Guys I apologize, I should've been more specific. I'm looking for pistol bullets. My wife and I are going to Idaho to visit with family and will be doing a lot of hiking. I have a Beretta 96 in .40 and a Colt Anaconda in .44 mag. I'm entertaining buying a Glock G20 in 10 mm. I'd prefer to have the semi for quicker follow up shots and the weight.

What part of Idaho?

I have to disagree on this point. When it comes to large bears and dangerous game, and often large game in general, handgun energy is not the most important factor, for penetration (momentum) takes priority. In some loads, lighter bullets can be driven fast enough to have higher "energy" numbers in ft/lbs, but are not the best for penetration and to insure vitals are reached through heavy bone or steep angles.

edit) Just think of the massive numbers of large buffalo that fell to the lowly 45-70 and similar BP loads. Those old loads did and do not have impressive "energy" numbers, but those big, heavy bullets carried a lot of momentum.
you need to read what i said again in reference to the 10 mm. the reason i said what i did is some 220 grain loads on the 10 mm are loaded lighter for less recoil than others of the same weight. you want the loads that are loaded hotter. i.e. the reference to energy. I've never seen a momentum number listed on any box or in reference material. only velocity and ft lbs of energy. momentum is a product of weight and speed. shape and composition also matter. i don't disagree with you i was helping him by telling him what to look for in a pistol not a rifle.

45+ years gunsmith/ballistician/ reloader and longer as a hunter.

Recent Posts