PISTOL BRASS

Dosh

I don't shoot or reload pistol. Perhaps a lack of knowledge, but I've never heard of anyone annealing pistol brass. The process looks impossible to me and a bit dangerous. Please enlighten me.

Yes, many people anneal handgun brass, especially if they are shooting fairly heavy to maximum load cast bullets. The brass must be slightly "belled" to allow the bullet to enter the case, then "crimped" to make certain that the bullet does not move under recoil. I only "crimp" my magnum loads, and try to "minimally" "bell" my cases for bullet insertion! This makes my "plinking load" brass live a longer life"

Also, straight-walled rifle cases, especially if used in tubular feed rifles, are often "crimped" to prevent the bullet from being "pushed" into the case by the pressure exerted upon the cartridge while in the magazine.

The "belling" and the "crimping" works the mouth of the case, considerably shortening the case life if allowed to work harden! memtb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.