Pipeline Hacked, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddyboots

Our power grid is stated to be next target. We have known this for years but yet according to data security "experts" nothing has been done to truly "harden" out data systems from attack. Are we that arrogant that we are going to allow this to happen without taking the necessary steps to protect out systems?

Why is it so difficult for people to follow standard data security requirements? It takes an effort but time and time again we just can't follow procedure. Dang I just got notified of medical security breach from poor FTP protocol. High school kids learning IT are taught this simple protocol but yet its too tough to follow?

Its time to change people or CHANGE PEOPLE!
This paper on it is sobering.

Attachments

• Cyber Threat and Vulnerability Analysis of the U.S. Electric Sector.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Not a political statement here, believe whatever you want.
If you can't survive without fuel, or electricity........and I do mean basic survival, as in not die.....you have a good chance of dying from something entirely out of your control.
It wouldn't be all that much fun, but I'm confident I can keep me and mine alive without either for years.....as long as immediate emergency medical treatment outside of basic first aid is not needed.
Most are relying on others to stay alive, that's nothing short of stupid. Relying on others for comfort is one thing...relying on others for life is another.
I get that it's not easy for everyone, and not everyone will make it, but if you have the means to secure a consistent source of food, water, and a naturally heated shelter.....I'd suggest that's probably one of the better investments you could make. We insure almost everything, even insure our own death....but don't insure our ability to survive.......funny little creatures we are.

I have the perfect solar setup with a double stacked garage with wide open southern exposure. Huge roof for plenty of panels. I've looking at several different setups and think solar with lithium battery is best long term prepper. No fuel to worry about, just sun. Also looking at wind turbine for additional input during night or even long stretches of bad weather skies. Complete autonomy from the grid is the only objective I have.

I may add a CO2 fire suppression system for the lithium battery storage area as added precaution.

They have known about what the effects of a High Altitude EMB for almost 20 years now and have done nothing to harden the grid to protect some critical infrastructure items. Every time the measure comes up in the house it is voted down. So I am not surprised in the least about what the OP mentions.

I have the perfect solar setup with a double stacked garage with wide open southern exposure. Huge roof for plenty of panels. I've looking at several different setups and think solar with lithium battery is best long term prepper. No fuel to worry about, just sun. Also looking at wind turbine for additional input during night or even long stretches of bad weather skies. Complete autonomy from the grid is the only objective I have.

I may add a CO2 fire suppression system for the lithium battery storage area as added precaution.
One of my concerns with solar is I've heard the battery's life span can be as short as five years. Also what type of heating do you use? Seems like solar could be cost prohibitive, unless Biden's going to subsidize them.

We have become a panic society.
I.E toilet paper, covid, ammo and components and now pipeline.
That's all earthquake preparedness supplies. I've been through two riots in So Cal. Standard equipment is 5-10 days of supplies with no expectation of help after a big quake.

We have become a panic society.
I.E toilet paper, covid, ammo and components and now pipeline.

True, but I also lose power far too often in winter for variety of reasons so having back up has become a real concern. One of the main questions I have for battery back up is the life cycle expectation as well as return/recycle of it. I was actually involved with residential battery backup design project many years ago and battery end of life cycle is major requirement for any system. I would also highly recommend fire suppression system for any battery backup system.

Status
Not open for further replies.