Pinned Scope Bases (picatinny)

Pbike257

Simple Yes or No will suffice, but if you want to explain your position you're more than welcome.

Q: Are pinned Scope bases on round or multi-flat actions (Remington, Savage, Winchester or custom) necessary?

No, I don't believe so. Whenever I true an action I mill the screw holes dead center for mounting screws with #8-40 threads. In doing so, I align the holes in most instances more true than they were from the factory. The screws I use have a tapered filister head as seen on weaver/leupold screws and a Torx socket. The tapered head will center the screws within the tapered hole in the base, while the mating surface of the rail will keep the base straight side to side on the action top.

The only place I see pinned bases needed, is on a flat top action, with flat bottom bases.

Necessary no. Do they offer a substantial measure of additional protection against shearing forces from heavy magnums acting on big heavy scopes? Certainly.

The angles on the screw heads dont always match the angles in the screw holes of the base and sometimes after rails are machined they relieve a little bit.

I think pinning a base works to counter these problems to some degree, but i dont think its necessary just extra insurance.

The standard #6 screws are much smaller than the #8s that the original poster is using. Seems that the pins would help with strength (especially with #6 screws). If the pins are tight to both the receiver and the rail, that would reduce a little of the concern if the screws would become loose for some reason.

Necessary, no. Added protection that may come in handy, yes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.