Pin tumbler

Steve gavette

I am considering getting a stainless steel pin tumbler, and am curious about the pins getting stuck inside the cases. Does anyone have a method of separating that ensures all pins are out of the cases? Preferred method of drying and separating? Thanks.

When I used a SS pin tumbler I separated the wet media from the cases in an old RCBS media separator that I had when I used a vibratory tumbler/shell media many years prior. It gets probably 95% of the pins out. I then dried the cases in case drier (basically a higher priced food dehydrator...same exact thing). After drying I ran them through the separator again and rarely had pins left in the case. There would be the rare pin wedged across the neck or stuck in the flash hole so a visual inspection of each case before further operations was in order for safety. I no longer tumble my cases as I did not find any improvement on target and I wanted to simplify my loading processes. In full disclosure my volume shooting/reloading is with single shot actions and my cases are put directly into my ammo box or fall onto a shooting mat. I just wipe off my hunting rounds before lubing to size. SS tumblers are great if you buy/pick up range brass that really need a proper cleaning.

I've never found a stuck pin unless it actually bridged the neck and you can't miss that. To me, it's a non-issue. However, if that's your concern you can buy the SS little flakes, stars, or whatever they call them. Some users of pin tumblers don't use any SS media but that kind of works against the process IMO.

I use the STM system/equipment and they provide a separating tumbler that easily separates the pins because the separating action takes place under water in a pail. Pins easily drop free of cases and land in the pail.

CC1AB98F-5F82-4ABC-A4C1-BEB353B0081D.jpeg
Not trying to hijack this thread, but just got one question. Is a pin tumbler that much better than a regular media tumbler?

TIA
Yes

I have often got brass that looks (almost) that shiny but not always. Factory new brass doesn't look as good as that load.

I think it comes down to the amount of brass you're tumbling, how dirty it is, and how much lem-shine you put in. Bill, I think you've got pin tumbling down to a science. 😁

I'm not deserving of all this flattery you guys making me feel guilty so I will reveal my final step or trick I still use a vibratory Tumblr with walnut hull media and just a shot of white diamond metal polish after the stainless steel pin Tumblr

Last edited:
I'm not deserving of all this flattery you guys making me feel guilty so I will reveal my final step or trick I still use a vibratory Tumblr with walnut hull media and just a shot of white diamond metal polish after the stainless steel pin Tumblr
I have heard of folks doing that. I think the big advantage to pins is the primer pockets get fairly clean. Much cleaner than In a vibrator.

The pins clean everything right down to the metal no doubt I don't wear rubber gloves and I found tarnish and fingerprints after a while so that's why I go the extra step with the polish they look even brighter and are sealed and even after sitting a week or two they look just as good

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.