piloted .. bolt nose opening reamer ?? sucha thing

DUSTY NOGGIN

have a buddy . ready for hunt in two weeks ..rem700 action with only 60 to 80 round total rounds fired.. rr serial (possible timing) .. but seems more like the riveted rem extractor is sticking/staying in too far . it it cutting brass off the rims and it seems to be sharp with no signs of wear .. i picked out quite a bit of brass grit .. that i thought might be binding it up, cleaned out with compressed air and brakeclean , lubed, sprung it did it again .. lubed , blew out seemed to work with spent brass but not for long .. he is going to have local smith swapp that rem extractor out ..

but id like to suggest to him to upgrade it to a better extractor.. which leads to this titles question ..

so this rifle shoots exceptionally well the way it sits ..so trying to use existing bolt and not removing the barrel , is that possible???

can you safely install an m16 extractor on a factory remington bolt??, if so, is there a tool to open up the bolt nose Opening without .. removing the barrel??

sako type ..
i have heard that no bolt nose opening is required for a sako type extractor .. i would think that some is nessicary ? can any one explain why that is .. doesnt the sako also exceed the outter diameter of the bolt too ??

Last edited:
Here is the drawing Jerry Stiller produced for the Predator/Tac actions. Read the note at the bottom before screaming about the diameter being too big.

upload_2019-10-19_18-51-52.png

PT&G makes reamers to cut bolt nose openings on barrels. The problem becomes one of how to set the barrel up in order to make the necessary cut without removing it from the receiver.

I prefer to use the M16 extractor over the Sako as I've seen the nose destroyed by a pressure excursion with a Sako. The M16 is cross pinned and doesn't get blown out. Yes, I know, someone out there will want to be the exception. ;)

I suggest replacing the factory extractor with another factory extractor and save the pain and suffering for a new barrel. It will serve him well.

thank you ..
would you consider it safe to mill a factory bolt for the m16 type ??? or would you go for a new bolt and take it all apart and do it right one piece at a time

a second opinion will go along way with this guy ... i am all for the m16 type as well and you just backed it up, his smith put a new rem riveted type back in it on the quick .. so hes good for his hunt..

after only 60 or so shots though they really arent reliable .. im gonna have him read this thread and hear it from some pros rather than me the garage guy

since that bolt is only .695 to .705 .. i was thinking there may be tee shaped tool or something that would key in through the lug areas .. then slide some pilot bushing in the action to center it .. to get that opened up to the .785 range

i had a local guy open one up for a new barrel i i did .. he said he was only gonna open it up until it functioned .. he used a heaspace gauge for that function ..ended up being .730 .. well all my brass is bigger than that and it was scarring the brass .755 functions good now

I've installed hundreds of M16 extractors. I quit using Sako extractors 30 years ago. The nice thing is that here are aftermarket bolts available when you chose to upgrade to one of those.

I'm sure there are a couple of unique methods to accomplish what you want to do. In reality though gunsmiths remove the barrel so they can indicate it in to make these adjustments to a barrel tenon. Cobbling parts together to avoid removing a barrel is generally considered bad form... but this is a non-critical adjustment so use your best judgement.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/45-barrel-counterbores

In reality though gunsmiths remove the barrel so they can indicate it in to make these adjustments to a barrel tenon. Cobbling parts together to avoid removing a barrel is generally considered bad form...

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/45-barrel-counterbores

i appreciate the honesty ,

its a custom rifle that shoots superb.. im pretty sure he wont break it apart until its time for a new barrel

thanks again

its a custom rifle that shoots superb.. im pretty sure he wont break it apart until its time for a new barrel

It's unfortunate that some shooters believe that a rifle can't be taken apart and reassembled and still shoot great, customs especially. We do it every day. But to each his own.

Best of luck with your project!:)

.. his smith put a new rem riveted type back in it on the quick .. so hes good for his hunt..

My favorite custom action is a Surgeon. One of the things I like about it is that it is available with Remington extractor. I wish the magnum bolt was available with one. I've tried to find a Smith that would open up a standard bolt face to a magnum and put a riveted extractor on it.

I've tried to find a Smith that would open up a standard bolt face to a magnum and put a riveted extractor on it.

I applaud your loyalty to a design. But I also understand the reluctance of gunsmiths to take this job on especially as a one-of-one. Technically they probably couldn't charge you enough to make that job pay to do it.

But if the market was deep enough then that process would become the same as bolt fluting on small CNC mills, very easy and profitable. I see two ways it can be done but neither would be profitable so I avoid this type of project too. :(

Good Luck with your search!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.