Piller Beding a B&C Stock

4bycamper

Today the guy at the gunsmith's counter told me they would not piller bed my rem 700 into a B&C Carbelite because the the B&C stocks have too much oil in the fiberglass and the epoxy won't stick...it will shoot loose. He said they have tried Acraglass liquid, Acraglass gel, and Devcon with no success.

Can anyone here verify this or was this guy just B-S ing me ?
Would creating a mechanical lock by putting deep threads in the piller hole work ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I usually dont put pillars in a stock with an aluminum bedding rail. But I have bedded several lug areas on these type stocks. I just had a custom 6mmbr built by who I feel is a very good smith. It is in a BC stock and it is bedded. Shoots great too.

Jeff

I've yet to hear of a synthetic stock manufacturer (or anyone who works with fiberglass for that matter) who intentionally puts oil in the matting/fabric.

Bedding jobs "shoot out" because they weren't done properly to start with.

Sounds to me like its time to find a new gunsmith.

I've yet to hear of a synthetic stock manufacturer (or anyone who works with fiberglass for that matter) who intentionally puts oil in the matting/fabric.

Bedding jobs "shoot out" because they weren't done properly to start with.

Sounds to me like its time to find a new gunsmith.

Thanks NC. I tend to agree with you. But I thought I would ask because there is tons of experience here and somebody has done this before.

Get a new smith who knows how to do this----the good ones know how to do it. Mine does it as a matter of course in his builds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.