pillars Size

camoman80

How should Igo about messuring pillars for my Rem 700 bdl as far as what size for the hole on them. I might as well ask how big i would want the out side of the pillars to be as well. This is just for a stock rifle that I am goin got try to pillar and bed the action
Thanks
Matt

One way to make them is like these. These are what I make. Hole ID is .3125". Plenty of clearance to ensure the guard screw doesn't hit the stock.

DSC_0015-3.jpg

When I make them for guns being done in house this is how I do it because that's how all my programming is done for the mills.

Since the bulk of "DIY" guys at home don't have access to this kind of stuff I altered my retail ones to where you just spot face the pillar hole with a spade bit or drill.

Performance wise it makes no difference. Seriously. These things have evolved over time and they started out with square heads. I left them that way cause I'm too lazy to go back and change all my programming. That's the only reason.

EDIT: I read your post again and I think I may have misunderstood you. The pillars don't key in the action at all. No, no, no doesn't work that way. The pillars have a single line point of contact with the receiver. This "stand off" is .050" to allow for a pad of bedding to go between the action and the base of the pillar. The raised "rib" is contoured to the action and prevents screws from crushing the stock while also providing actual bedding material contact. I feel this is much better as you get more of a 1:1 point of contact this way. The epoxy is going to mirror image whatever it contacts. If it were keyed it would act as a recoil lug and that is a big NO NO. Especially with repeaters using a floor detach magazine or hinged floor plate.

The whole idea behind this was to get away from pillars that end up with a skim layer of bedding that always flakes off later. It also acts as another mechanical lock to ensure the pillar never moves or comes loose. The real feature with the swelled head is that it controls the seating depth of the action. If done correctly it puts the receiver on the exact "waterline" of the stock's top edge. This means the barreled action is half in/half out and level with the stock.

Hope this helped.

C

Last edited:
I use 5/8" stock and machine it down .010 thou. to make room for bedding compound around it. The 5/8" hole in a remington 700 matches perfectly with the 5/8" milled slot in the bottom of the stock.

I always wondered what made those slots in the bedding jobs you posted Chad. You're really into what you do and it shows!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.