Pillar Bedding

5.56×250

I didnt know where to post this , so I thought I'd pass my thoughts on the pillar bedding kit I just tried on here.
I bought a Boyd's feather weight thumbhole stock recently for a budget DIY remage build I'm doing. I've always thought laminated stocks make a decent foundation for a passably accurate bolt gun, but have always glassbedded the ones I've done in the past for extra acciracy insureance . Of course, being made of wood, there is always the chance you will get some crush and therefore, binding of the action, if you aren't very careful not to over torque the action screws. I did a homemade pillar job on my last laminated build 20 yrs ago. It worked out fine and the rifle shot superbly, although it wasn't pretty.
Enter 2019 and here I am again, looking to pillar bed another stock after a long hiatus away from bench shooting. A quick search came up with a few options in nicely contoured pillars for my 700 action. I settled on the SCORE HIGH pillar bedding kit because it had a unique system for getting the pillars set in the stock, plus a pillar inside a pillar design that makes it easy to get the pillar lengths right for the stock your working on.
It turned out great ! My action slides in the stock with no binding and just drops in with a solid thud. No tilting or crushing as the action screws are torqued to 60 in lbs . I highly recommend this very well thought out system. One small thing I did that might help someone who wants to use this system, but doesn't have a drill press to relieve the stock for the pillars.....I took a 5/8" paddle bit and epoxied a short 2" section of carbon arrow over the pilot point on the bit, in line with the bit. This allowed me to slide the arrow section into the existing action screw hole . It worked very well at keeping the bit running true to the hole , which is imperative to a properly pillared stock. I also glass bedding the stock after the pillars were set to help give the action full support in the stock
I hope this helps someone deciding to give this system a go. Good luck !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts