Pillar bedding tubberware stock

Namibguy

Im buying my first rifle a 223 rem 700 and i do not have the funds to buy a new stock and probably wont for quite a while. I don't live in the US so even boyds stocks can get quite expensive. I was just wanted to know what you guyd would think about the idea of drilling a hole through a threaded rod and then heating it up(assuming i can keep it hot for long enough) and threading into the polymer stock to make the pillars since epoxy doesn't like sticking to those stocks. I just wanted to ask before potentially ruining a stock cant really replace at the moment.

Im buying my first rifle a 223 rem 700 and i do not have the funds to buy a new stock and probably wont for quite a while. I don't live in the US so even boyds stocks can get quite expensive. I was just wanted to know what you guyd would think about the idea of drilling a hole through a threaded rod and then heating it up(assuming i can keep it hot for long enough) and threading into the polymer stock to make the pillars since epoxy doesn't like sticking to those stocks. I just wanted to ask before potentially ruining a stock cant really replace at the moment.
I would not try what you are talking about I would make sure barrel is floated and due a normal bedding job on the plastic stocks just ruff it up very good and drill some 1/8 holes about 3/16 deep where you will be using bedding materiel

I would say first shoot the rifle and see how it does. I have three Remington 700 rifles that came with synthetic stocks that shoot sub half moa, so I have not messed with them.

Hope this helps and stay safe
Ok thanks did you keep the pressure point on the stock?

Pillers can easily be installed in the plastic stocks with epoxy. The pillers should have grooves on the outside and then you cut some grooves in the hole the pillers go in. The epoxy will lock into these grooves and hold the pillers in place even if it doesn't adhere to the plastic. It's a mechanical lock. Make the pillers just slightly smaller top to bottom so the stock can compress slightly before the action and floor plate lock up to the pillers. This will definitely help keep screws tight on the plastic stocks.
Good luck.
Shep

Pillers can easily be installed in the plastic stocks with epoxy. The pillers should have grooves on the outside and then you cut some grooves in the hole the pillers go in. The epoxy will lock into these grooves and hold the pillers in place even if it doesn't adhere to the plastic. It's a mechanical lock. Make the pillers just slightly smaller top to bottom so the stock can compress slightly before the action and floor plate lock up to the pillers. This will definitely help keep screws tight on the plastic stocks.
Good luck.
Shep
How much do ypu estimate is that small amount, are there any hardware store items i can use to do it my self instead of buying pillars?

I make them .025 short and I don't glue them in. I just let them pinch between the action and floor plate. The screws will bottom the pieces out and be firm. The plastic stocks are just mushy when tightening the screws. You can buy pillers on eBay for cheap. Or you can buy adjustable pillers from score high gunsmithing. Then you can play with how much you compress your stock and then glue the skinny end into the stock.
Shep

I make them .025 short and I don't glue them in. I just let them pinch between the action and floor plate. The screws will bottom the pieces out and be firm. The plastic stocks are just mushy when tightening the screws. You can buy pillers on eBay for cheap. Or you can buy adjustable pillers from score high gunsmithing. Then you can play with how much you compress your stock and then glue the skinny end into the stock.
Shep
Thanks for thr advice

How much do ypu estimate is that small amount, are there any hardware store items i can use to do it my self instead of buying pillars?
I doubt it. If you take your example, drilling a hole thru any bolt, without a way to keep your hole straight, it will be worse. Plus, the screw needs to be shaped on the action side to either be a "V" or match the radius of the receiver.
Some pillars are basically stainless steel tubing, such as Winchester/Mauser actions. Those are probably 5/16" holes and 3/8" outside diameter. If you did that you would be better off than hand drilling a screw. Your tube based pillar is only going to to contact a pin point on the round receiver however.
So, if you can find heavy wall steel tubing, you can drill holes perpendicular to the tubing to create the mechanical lock Shep was talking about. Even if you spot drill without breaking thru the tube wall (dimple it) that would be better than a smooth tube o.d.
Sounds like getting pillars to your home country is not possible (?).
If your choice of epoxies are limited to what you can get at a hardware store, JB makes an epoxy that is filled with aluminum or steel. But, the set times are fast, so make sure you hand fit pillars and triple check. I would epoxy set pillars in one operation, then come back and sand heavily everywhere but the installed pillars, relieve the plastic stock on the recoil lug mortise about 1/16" on the side where the lug contacts on recoil.
Use Johnson spray wax on action, Screw threads, recoil lug face, taped areas. Look this up on you tube....good luck.
Still, shoot it first. This whole improvement may not be needed....

I doubt it. If you take your example, drilling a hole thru any bolt, without a way to keep your hole straight, it will be worse. Plus, the screw needs to be shaped on the action side to either be a "V" or match the radius of the receiver.
Some pillars are basically stainless steel tubing, such as Winchester/Mauser actions. Those are probably 5/16" holes and 3/8" outside diameter. If you did that you would be better off than hand drilling a screw. Your tube based pillar is only going to to contact a pin point on the round receiver however.
So, if you can find heavy wall steel tubing, you can drill holes perpendicular to the tubing to create the mechanical lock Shep was talking about. Even if you spot drill without breaking thru the tube wall (dimple it) that would be better than a smooth tube o.d.
Sounds like getting pillars to your home country is not possible (?).
If your choice of epoxies are limited to what you can get at a hardware store, JB makes an epoxy that is filled with aluminum or steel. But, the set times are fast, so make sure you hand fit pillars and triple check. I would epoxy set pillars in one operation, then come back and sand heavily everywhere but the installed pillars, relieve the plastic stock on the recoil lug mortise about 1/16" on the side where the lug contacts on recoil.
Use Johnson spray wax on action, Screw threads, recoil lug face, taped areas. Look this up on you tube....good luck.
Still, shoot it first. This whole improvement may not be needed....
I can probably get pillar though they might be expensive and im on a tight budget thats why asking, thanks for the info im just not sure what you mean the recoil lug part and and spraying wax is for.

I have that weird barrel 223,I did mine ,been a while.Guessing I used pillars,but when floated so flimsy that I drill front and put two of the biggest stiffest carbon arrows I had and epoxy the whole works.Its fair in stiffness but I can twist if I try.Shot bad,now shoots good. My best group was 1/4 @ 100 with this and 69 smk.I shot coyote at 573 yrds,it was sitting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.