Pillar bedding tubberware stock

Surely there is a machine shop that will turn the .25 cents worth of aluminum scrap into a few pillers for you. Drill the holes out in your stock with a step drill bit. Going half way from the top and half way from the bottom makes a pretty straight hole. The lamp rod will work too. You can cut it with a hack saw and file the ends to fit.
Shep

Im buying my first rifle a 223 rem 700 and i do not have the funds to buy a new stock and probably wont for quite a while. I don't live in the US so even boyds stocks can get quite expensive. I was just wanted to know what you guyd would think about the idea of drilling a hole through a threaded rod and then heating it up(assuming i can keep it hot for long enough) and threading into the polymer stock to make the pillars since epoxy doesn't like sticking to those stocks. I just wanted to ask before potentially ruining a stock cant really replace at the moment.

I'm not too keen on melting some threaded rod into a stock because you are not going to get the accuracy for setting the pillars into your stock properly. Also what is the plan for accurately drilling holes in the threaded stock for the receiver screws after the rod is in place?? I would suggest either making your own pillars out of metal tubing or ordering a set of pillars from Brownells, and either glass bedding them into place or even using JB Weld to epoxy them into place. JB Weld is something that I have never used, but wouldn't hesitate doing; both systems ought to work for you. I set my pillars to sit hitting the bottom of the receiver, and have the pillars sitting .005 thousandths of an inch high where they meet with the floor plate. If you order pillars, I would suggest getting Brownell's rifle bedding studs also. Brownells also offers adjustable pillars that can be adjusted to the proper height before they are epoxied into place. I would also glass bed the barrel and free-float the barrel from 4 inches in front of the recoil lug. I have several rifles that I have built with this process, and all shoot very well with the original stocks. Good luck with your pillar bedding job.

If you have a loses or home depot they sell bronze bushings in many different sizes. Man I feel fortunate to be a gunsmith and just make pillers in a few minutes any time I need them
Shep

I have a Grainger closer than them so it has become my "stock" store. That was pretty bad but that's what happens when isolated for weeks.

If you're more of a would kind of guy a laminated stock is just as good as a fiberglass
Go to "you tube". Its better if you see it and listen to the authors. Lots of good info there. I can't do it by text alone. Too much to cover for your first attempt at pillar bedding.
i just don't understand where the recoil lug comes in when talking about pillar bedding.

My commentary has absolutely nothing to do with the OPs topic. However, In this COVID-19 crisis I'd like to share what I thought the OPs topic was.
"Pillar bedding TUPPERWARE stock "

I thought how and why in the hell would you make a Tupperware container into a stock. Showed the heading to my wife expecting to get quite the laugh out of her. With her typical look on her face( when I've done or said something STUPID) said slow your roll slick and read the title again. When she saw the look on my face she started to laugh!! Really hard. You know, that laugh your spouse has when you are the punchline of a joke. In the end We both had quite the laugh.
Thankx to the OP for making our day.
Yeah im kinda retarded like that sometimes. Glad to make your day

Surely there is a machine shop that will turn the .25 cents worth of aluminum scrap into a few pillers for you. Drill the holes out in your stock with a step drill bit. Going half way from the top and half way from the bottom makes a pretty straight hole. The lamp rod will work too. You can cut it with a hack saw and file the ends to fit.
Shep
Yeah i will probably go and ask what it would cost to that, i have a friend with drill press so a straight hole shouldn't be a problem

They are talking about bedding the recoil lug as well as using pillers on the screws. The pillers and lug don't have anything to do with each other. The lug stops your action from moving rear ward the screws keep it down the center. A glass bedded action sits truer in the stock and makes the most out of the surface of your lug. I wouldn't waste my time doing alot to a 25 dollar plastic stock. If you can do pillers for cheap and put some jb weld up around the lug area yourself then it will probably help some. But I wouldn't pay to have it done professionally by a gunsmith. I am a professional gunsmith and I tell customers not to waste money on those plastic stocks. Even if you get the lug bedded and pillers installed you still have the flimsy and twisty forend to deal with. Just not worth the effort. Yes you can turn a Yugo into a Porsche. But is it worth it.
Shep
Shep

I'm not too keen on melting some threaded rod into a stock because you are not going to get the accuracy for setting the pillars into your stock properly. Also what is the plan for accurately drilling holes in the threaded stock for the receiver screws after the rod is in place?? I would suggest either making your own pillars out of metal tubing or ordering a set of pillars from Brownells, and either glass bedding them into place or even using JB Weld to epoxy them into place. JB Weld is something that I have never used, but wouldn't hesitate doing; both systems ought to work for you. I set my pillars to sit hitting the bottom of the receiver, and have the pillars sitting .005 thousandths of an inch high where they meet with the floor plate. If you order pillars, I would suggest getting Brownell's rifle bedding studs also. Brownells also offers adjustable pillars that can be adjusted to the proper height before they are epoxied into place. I would also glass bed the barrel and free-float the barrel from 4 inches in front of the recoil lug. I have several rifles that I have built with this process, and all shoot very well with the original stocks. Good luck with your pillar bedding job.
I have a friend with drill press and a vice thought that might work for straight holes.

They are talking about bedding the recoil lug as well as using pillers on the screws. The pillers and lug don't have anything to do with each other. The lug stops your action from moving rear ward the screws keep it down the center. A glass bedded action sits truer in the stock and makes the most out of the surface of your lug. I wouldn't waste my time doing alot to a 25 dollar plastic stock. If you can do pillers for cheap and put some jb weld up around the lug area yourself then it will probably help some. But I wouldn't pay to have it done professionally by a gunsmith. I am a professional gunsmith and I tell customers not to waste money on those plastic stocks. Even if you get the lug bedded and pillers installed you still have the flimsy and twisty forend to deal with. Just not worth the effort. Yes you can turn a Yugo into a Porsche. But is it worth it.
Shep
Shep
Yeah thats why i was confused because i was not planning on bedding the action since ive heard the synthetic stocks dont bond well i was just considering some ideas for cheap pillars to reduce the compression of the stock. If i can't do it myself i wont do it. Thanks your input has been helpful.

If you decide to bed the lug take a Dremel with a ball burr on it and run it around the bottom of the recoil lug area. This relief cut will mechanically lock the bedding in place. Make sure you use a good paste wax on your metal parts and buff them off so the epoxy doesn't stick to the metal.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts