Pillar bedding: Marine-Tex or Acra-Glass gel?

Back in the 70's all that was available was Acraglas. I used it to bed a couple bull barrel heavy varmint rifles I built. I was at the range shooting them this past weekend, so the stuff will hold up.
The Joel Russo stock I am finishing up I used the Devcon because that is what everybody is using now. If I wouldn't of used that, I would of used Acraglas again.
Tarey

I have switched to the Steel Bed from brownells because it will flow but
does not run and has a very controled cure time.

I do all the taping and applying in my shop where the temp is 70o and have
several hours to mess with the fit and alignment if needed ( it takes about 2 to3
hours to kick off at this temp.

Once everything is ok I set the rifle and fixture out in the sun (Normally around
90o + here and it will cure in less than an hour and can be trimmed(The excess)
without removing the action.

The next day I will remove the action and do a final cleanup and reinstall the barreled
action to set for 2 or 3 days before firing. (4 to 6 days if it is a boomer.

This stuff is very tough and last a long time. also it is easy to work and if you have
to remove the action (Heaven forbid) before it starts to cure the controled cure time
may save you from a big mess.

There are other bedding materials that work well but I just prefer the steel bed.

J E CUSTOM

I started with AcraGlas Gel, and while I got good results with it, I tried Devcon 10110 on the suggestion of a gunsmith friend and am absolutely delighted with it.

Mixed Devcon 10110 is about perfect for working - it's about the consistancty of sticky soft serve icecream - soft enough to be easy to work into small places, sticky enough to stay where you put it (even on vertical surfaces), has a dependable long working time but cures completely in 16 hours, excess cleans up very nicely using Q-tips, machines beautifully for final trimming, and seems to put up with solvents and other abuses better than most and it's readily available on the WEB in 1lb and 4lb containers.

Fitch.

Either works fine. The real work is the preparation and the process.
A BIG A+++++++ for that statment! That is where the mistakes are made. Have everything ready , read and understand the directions, use a QUALITY release agent , don't try to 'cut corners', and take your buddies, buddies buddies advice with a grain of salt.

Depending on the temp that you mix it it's a little like p-nut butter. The warmer it gets the runnier it will be. I try to mix Marine Tex about 70 degree temp. Also use the gray and not the white. As said before take good care in your prep work, that's were you'll get the good finish from. Good luck.

Marine-Tex is a little thinner than A.G.gel, but I think it's a lot tougher when cured. Mix as directed, if it's too thin, wait a few minutes and it will thicken some. "Pot life" is 20/30 minutes, maybe a bit longer. If ya' got your 'ducks in a row' you should not be pushed to get the work done.

My vote goes to marine-tex all the way. It's about as tough as this kind of stuff gets and bonds like no other. I do agree with the note that says its matters more in your prep work then what you use.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.