Pictures of big heavy longrange rifles -let's see them.

ol mike

Howdy guys ,

Building a big heavy longrange hog thumper and would like to get some ideas for a build.

I have a 280ai rem 700 that Nathan Dagley built for me -it's a heavy sporterweight type rifle -it will kill most any hog i know but i want something that will absolutely hammer a big hog.

I'm living back in the southeast now so this gun will not be carried more than 200 yards -and if i have to carry it that far it will be on flat ground.My plan is to get some type of wheeled golf club bag type set up or a game cart to carry the -gun -rest -all the stuff we use for LRH'ing.The rifle will be shot from a shooting house from a benchrest set-up over bait.

I plan on useing a rem 700 built as a single shot and i know you can't hang a gigantic barrel off that action so could someone give me a little insight on a barrel-block type set-up and a ballpark figure of what that costs?

What do you guys think of the 375 rum for this ?
Would i be be better off sticking w/the .338 edge type cartridge ?

The reason i need a gun like this -cartridge wise is b/c if a huge bore hog is near the edge of a field and gets hit w/a so-so type cartridge it can run and dive into a literal jungle of dense swampy underbrush that takes a search party or buzzards to find the hog.
As stated i want an absolute hammer -something that will be big and powerful enough that i don't have to wait for a hog to stand broadside -something powerful enough for tx heart shots if need be
-700yds would be the outside yardage for the rifle 300-500 would be way more likely .

OK then thanks for any pictures and imput.

Mike

Ole "No SneaK" my .338 Lapua

Jeff gun)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012-01-08_11-47-51_861Small.jpg

My 338 Norma that is smaller of 338 stillhas 2900+ E @ 700 yrds. A way back in classifieds there was a, APS 375 RUM, LOOKED REAL NICE, and A aps 338 ax just sold it was a beauty.

This is an 18 lb .338 EDGE. The barrel alone weighs 8.8 lbs.

Attachments

• DSCN0529.jpg
    DSCN0529.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN0317.jpg
    DSCN0317.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 374
You aint building a BMG off of the 700 action but you did ask to see big long range rifles:D
50bmg on the left, 375bmg on the right. Both have new homes these days.

verminthumperboomer.JPG

The 338 edge is the big gun in the safe these days, This one is built off a Ruger action.

308baer%20010.jpg

My go too long range rig for years has been a 6-284 built off a remington action, I dont shoot it often but it has always produced good results.

6-284.jpg

You'll get nothing in the BIG LongRange Thumpin' range on the Rem 700 action.

Short range, you betcha. 375 H&H and other African Cartridges.

Check out a 357 Allen Magnum. Nearly identical to a 357 Snipe Tac. (Timing of two great minds

BTW, the bullet selection problem will, I'm sure be remedied. A 375 or 400 class high bc projectile will bring this cartridge into its own. At this point the 375 is about the same as the 338 Allen Mag but with more energy.

Whew-wee you guys have some nice rifles !

The reason i mentioned making the gun way heavy is to beat back the recoil -i am trying to not use a brake on the gun.
How heavy '"ballpark guess" would a 338 edge shooting a 300gr bullet need to be to have recoil similar to a sporterweight 270 w/130gr bullets ?

And what size barrel contour and length can a chrome moly remington action support ?
If i could use a 30" sendero contour -i could just forget the barrel block thoughts.

I bet you guys use your rifles to pick up chicks -laf.

Thanks for the pictures and info thus far keep them coming if you have them.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts