Pics. My new LR rifle build

sierra22

Presently building a hunting rifle fully capable of longrange. The goal of this project was

Lightweight
Inexpensive

So picked up a secondhand Sako Forester, smacked on a aluminum picatinny rail and Hitech stock. Weight is about 3.5 kgs (7lbs) with scope and moderator, it groups rougly 15cm@600m or 6"@660yds and have so far cost the same as a standard Rem700.

Blog_A.JPG

Finished the rifle with Duracoat. If the surface is prepared properly you'll have a very durable finish.
Blog_A_%285%29.JPG

Used orange for safetyfeatures. Will remove orange from scopemount.
Blog_A_%286%29.JPG

Chose 10 MOA (actually it's 12 MOA) angle to get most out of my hunting scopes and enough out of my LR scopes...
Blog_A_%284%29.JPG

Very easy to see when this rifle is cocked...
Blog_A_%283%29.JPG

Sako.jpg

The trigger and safety was flagged with green more as a practical joke on my behalf :D
Sako_2.jpg

normal_Blog_A_%286%29.JPG

Again the orange details...
normal_Oransje_2.JPG

Have used it in the field already. Seen 100-200 deer so far, but was too busy filming to shoot them.
normal_filming.JPG

First kill was a fox. Absolutely in love with my moderator - reduces recoil to nothing and game close by isn't spooked.
normal_Sako_atec.JPG

There's a video of the build here:
VIDEOBLOG HERE

Look for english titles to get the texted versions...
Hope you enjoy, have been reading the forum a long time, about time to contribute a little...

Last edited:
Looked over the rifle tonight, it's still ok with Duracote (I only clean the barrel these days) but it is slipping where I didn't do proper surface preparation. This was expected.

Does anyone have experience with Cerakote?

Put the rifle on the scales, have failed slightly in my 3,5kg statement but can't really see how I could have built it much different either. Wasn't willing to use a very short or pencil thuin barrel. Would've had to pick up a slimmer Kimber for less weight I think.

It's almost a system rifle (not a true system rifle, but poor mans version) and depending on the configuration/barrel it weighs:

Assassin 4,352 kg. This is the use-all-opportunities configuration with a 4-16x50 PMII and moderator.
Stalker 3,919 kg. As seen in the hunting blog. This is mostly for recreational hunting with a Zeiss 2,5-10x42 and moderator.
Alpine 3,469 kg. Only configuration that makes the weight limit; with Swaro 3-9x36.

System components weigh:
Rifle 3,005 kg
PMII 1,066 kg
Zeiss 0,633 kg
Swaro 0,464 kg
Moderator 0,28 kg
The Sako Forester action weighs 1,050 kg.

Will post pics later....

It's 950 m/sec. Had a tiny suprise last night cleaning the barrel.

normal_dz.jpg

normal_dz_%281%29.jpg

The barrel is only 18,5" long. Didn't really pay attention as we were building it.
Short barrel shooting an inferior Bc 0,4 bullet but still first-shot hits at the 0.2-0.4 MIL sized targets I've shot out to ranges of 750 meters (825 plus yards).

All in all I value my hearing a lot more than the marginal increase in killing window a longer barrel will give me, so next barrel will be at similar lenght.

Nice rig, good clean details in the pics, very different with the orange and green. Very informative, thanks for the info and sharing. Congratulations:)

Last edited:
It's 950 m/sec. Had a tiny suprise last night cleaning the barrel.

normal_dz.jpg

normal_dz_%281%29.jpg

All in all I value my hearing a lot more than the marginal increase in killing window a longer barrel will give me, so next barrel will be at similar lenght.

I don't understand. A longer barrel will put the muzzle FARTHER from your ears!

Thanks for an outstanding film and rifle discussion. As always, I wish we could use moderators anywhere in the USA, and without all the red tape.

I don't understand. A longer barrel will put the muzzle FARTHER from your ears!

Many thanks for that. I was a bit unclear in my post...

I use my rifles with moderators and to keep overall rifla lenght down I chop the barrel. Even though my moderator is telescopic, it adds 4-5" lenght. With a short barrel lenght and balance will still be the same as a 22-24" sporter rifle.

Sierra22,

Be proud, be very proud! You've done a great job. I'm glad to hear that you are getting such good accuracy with the short barrel. I might opt for the shorter barrel myself. I wish we could use moderators when hunting here. They are so much more pleasant to shoot with. Keep up the good work, and share more video of your hunts.

Thanks for that! :)

Will be visiting the gunsmith again next week so I guess another short film or two will appear. It'll be mostly about fitting picatinny rails and painting with duracoat.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.