Picking the right stock.

GetReel

Building a new rifle and having a hard time deciding on a stock.
Building this to be my "go-to" rifle for most hunting. 6.5x284
Items I already have; Defiance AnTi LA, Proof 24" Sendero Light, Hawkins Precision BDL btm metal.
I am 99% sure I want to go with an AG Composites stock but not 100%.
I want to keep weight down so I lean towards a more traditional style stock but I also want the ability to practice and get better with +600yrd shots so then I lean towards a stock with a more vertical style grip.
I'd love to hear some input on this.
Thanks.

Items I already have; Defiance AnTi LA, Proof 24" Sendero Light, Hawkins Precision BDL btm metal.
I want to keep weight down so I lean towards a more traditional style stock but I also want the ability to practice and get better with +600yrd shots so then I lean towards a stock with a more vertical style grip.
Thanks.
Carbon shell and carbon fill
image.jpg
manners EH 1a although the adjustable part and the aluminum bedding block does add weight, I believe that pattern is called Desert Sage

The privateer is one I was considering, along with the Carbon all-terrain.
I just want the BDL style.
I am leaning towards the CAT for my next build too. It is a nice stock with traditional grip. If shooting only prone I like a vertical grip but my hunting style leans more to the traditional and works well with LR

Thanks

Buck

I am leaning towards the CAT for my next build too. It is a nice stock with traditional grip. If shooting only prone I like a vertical grip but my hunting style leans more to the traditional and works well with LR

Thanks

Buck
I seldom shoot without some sort of rest because I just can't hold steady freehand.
I spoke with my smith and he suggested to look at one with a higher cheek piece simply for a better eye alignment with the scope. So leading me back to either the Visigoth, or new K2

I seldom shoot without some sort of rest because I just can't hold steady freehand.
I spoke with my smith and he suggested to look at one with a higher cheek piece simply for a better eye alignment with the scope. So leading me back to either the Visigoth, or new K2
Me too sometimes I look like I am going camping. I have a bag with shoulder straps with everything inside. Gun, Bullets, dope book, rangefinder and bags and rests. I strap my shooting mat to the side and away I go

Thanks
Buck

Last edited:
I also wanted a lighter built rifle. Our builds are very similar. I chose a 280 Ackley. The action is a Defiance Anti, Bartlein 24" number 4 carbon fiber barrel, Trigger Tech special. The stock I chose is Ag Composite Visigoth. The weight is 28 oz. I also wanted a pistol grip but didn't want the weight of the Alpine but the alpine looks better. My wait time was much longer than they said. The one that is catching my eye is the Carbon K2. It's a new stock that just came out. As far as bottom metal I went with M5 bdl. I was told that Hawkins BDLis much lighter if you never want to go to a detachable magazine compared to the M5 BDL. My rifle should be done any day from Jon Beanland. So no first hand experience on Ag Composite. Your build sounds awesome if you want a lighter stock Proof stock is 20 oz, but $800.00. Good luck with your build and have fun.
Jason

Thanks.
I've got a McMillan Ultralight I love, no experience with AG composites.