Picking the right Reamer?

SHRTSHTR

I am trying to get a head start on a couple new barrels. I have a 338 Lapua with a 28" barrel now.

I want to build my own barrels for this rifle. I plan on 30" barrels with different twist rates. One barrel will be for Noel Carlson bullets and the other would be 1-10 twist for SMK's and possibly Bergers when they come out.

What is the best reamer to use for my application? Are there any special dimensions I need to ask about when ordering reamers? This will be my 1st attempt at building my own barrels, so as much information as possible would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ray

Start with calling and talking to Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Guage (PTG). His normal turn around time on a reamer is 30 days or under.

Tell him what you are doing and let him work with you. He has got tons of experience on what reamers work with what.

Plus does not cost anymore to do that.

He knows the bullets and can work the throats to fit the bullets.

BH

Start with calling and talking to Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Guage (PTG). His normal turn around time on a reamer is 30 days or under.

Tell him what you are doing and let him work with you. He has got tons of experience on what reamers work with what.

Plus does not cost anymore to do that.

He knows the bullets and can work the throats to fit the bullets.

BH

+1 on the Pacific. Dave is great to work with......Rich

Thanks Guys,

I would like to get opinions on barrels i am looking at as well. For the 1-10 twist barrel, Lilja is my 1st choice. For the custom bullets barrel, Bartlein was recommened by Noel Carlson.

I want the best barrels for my project, suggestions welcome!

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.